castrol gtx vs pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run both for 100,000 miles at 20 oil changes at every 5,000 miles then report back on what you found out.

Point being it can both, either, or neither. Pick one you like or switch every oil change, you and your engine will not care because both will provide the cleanness and protection that is required.

Dave is right. My friend's sister 2002 Camry with 186k miles had 5k OCI's with bulk dino at local garage in Simi Valley since new, the engine is sparkling clean without a trace of vanish, I saw it when it was in to replace the valve cover gasket. I didn't have my cell phone to take a picture, I didn't believe my own eyes when I first look at the engine either, I tried looking for some trace of vanish but couldn't find any.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Dave is right. My friend's sister 2002 Camry with 186k miles had 5k OCI's with bulk dino at local garage in Simi Valley since new, the engine is sparkling clean without a trace of vanish, I saw it when it was in to replace the valve cover gasket. I didn't have my cell phone to take a picture, I didn't believe my own eyes when I first look at the engine either, I tried looking for some trace of vanish but couldn't find any.

Does her Camry have the v-6? If so, even I`m impressed!! Back in the 80`s when I was in the military, and even after I got out. All I used was Pennzoil & GTX, since I coulndt make up my mind which one I liked better, I switched between the two all the time. And I also used these two oils in my Laser turbo with out any problems (and I had some serious fun in that car.) Though I did know how to respect the turbo. My point being, I believe PYB, VWB, and GTX are the three best dinos available. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
My point being, I believe PYB, VWB, and GTX are the three best dinos available. IMO of course.

I'll second that. Those three consistently turn in UOA's that rival or beat many syns, on reasonable dino runs of course.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: lexus114
My point being, I believe PYB, VWB, and GTX are the three best dinos available. IMO of course.

I'll second that. Those three consistently turn in UOA's that rival or beat many syns, on reasonable dino runs of course.

Couldn't agree more. Dinos have really turned around and is almost exclusively what I use in all my vehicles/machines. PYB is my drink of choice.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Whichever is on sale. 5k oil changes. Change the PVC valve every so often.

I agree with the 'On Sale' thought.. Many oils will do well. I used VWB for years, particularly way back in the day when I drove the hockey sticks out of a '71 Ford Torino that had a 351 cleveland in it with a 4-speed hurst-my younger brother got the car and he tore it apart to do some modifications on it and it was in great shape. I've been using QSGB lately because of sale price and it seems to be doing fine. I've also got some GTX left in stock, some Cenex oil and some Nextgen I picked up on sale. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the 3 that have been previously mentioned.

97 Prk.Ave-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
91 Dakota 4x4-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
03 Corolla-5-30 QSUD and Wix filter

Last edited:
they are both good oils buy what is cheapestall sm oils are pretty much the same. If an oil company ever tells you they have the best oils get it in writing!

Don't they all say they have the best oils?
wink.gif
In any case, if one buys something that actually has the current specifications and chooses the right viscosity for the application, it's very hard to go wrong.

As I've mentioned before, it's pretty hard to pay regular price for GTX up here. It's always at sale at Canadian Tire or Walmart. I just about fainted in Canadian Tire the other day. For the first time in several years, I could not find GTX display where the GTX was significantly discounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back