Alternative to Kubota SUDT & UDT hydraulic fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to do the 350hr service on my Kubota L4330, and I am curious if there is an equivalent to Kubota's SUDT or UDT hydraulic fluid that I can purchase locally. I have been told that Shell Donax TD is an acceptable substitute for UDT, but cannot find confirmation. The tractor does not have the hydrostatic transmission, it uses the GST (glide-shift). Thanks!

Shell and Mobil have good tractor trans/hydraulic fluids. I have used Travller brand from tractor supply since that is what is available locally. Have used it in older IH tractors and a newer Mahindra with no problems. I have also heard of ppl using Napa trans/hyd fluid also.

just check the label for the specs it meets.

I would use a tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid. You can get it at Walmart, Sams, TSC, NAPA, etc. I have used it in my Bobcat with no problems. If anything it would be more picky about the hydraulic fluid since its hydrostatic drive. My old Kubota L225 had a screen filter for the hydraulic fluid. My Bobcat has two filters (over $100 combined) along with pressure and temp senders.

Quote:
If anything it would be more picky about the hydraulic fluid since its hydrostatic drive.

No, its the glide Shift Transmission, not the hydrostatic.

These are quite different fluids, so you should first find out in your owners manual which one is recommended for that system.

The UDT is just a common universal tractor hydraulic fluid (THF) and if you look at most of these labels, you almost always find UDT listed as one that it "meets the specs."/suitable for, etc.. Here's one, the Shell Donax label that I found in 10 seconds on Google: http://www.canyonstateoil.com/msds-sheets/Shell_Oil/DonaxTD.pdf

The SUDT is a premium multi viscosity THF that is much more expensive, but it lasts longer and handles cold temps. better. Being in Georgia, if your manual recommends UDT, that should work well and be much cheaper. Personally, I would only use the SUDT if I was in a colder climate and/or the particular machine recommended only to use that one, or money was no object whatsoever.

Chevron makes a fluid that meets/exceeds SUDT specifications, but everywhere I read on the interweb says it costs even more.

Respected BITOG member Jim Allen said his testing of a particular "Farm Store" THF's showed it had a weak additive package. Everyone marches to a different drummer regarding what they think will work best in their machine.

Google will answer your questions.

I have used supertech brand in the 2004 rtv-900. I am at the 1000hr mark and no complants. that reminds me to get a pail. i have a cv shaft and strut in the front to replace and that requires refill of the diff and brake case. i will change the trans while i am at it. money money money.
i do like sudt and prefer it but it is too price.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back