Manual trans fluid 1995 Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 1995 Ford Ranger I replaced the manual transmission fluid at 43,600 miles with Castrol Dex/Merc. I am currently at 70,700 miles.

I chose this fluid because the manual calls for Mercon lubricant. However with only 27k miles on the fluid the shifting seems really notchy to me. Would I be better off switching to something like Redline's MTF and ditching the ATF that Ford recommends? If so, is there anything similar to Redline MTF I can use so I'm not using such an expensive fluid in a simple tiny truck from 1995. It's not like I'm not doing much hauling with it, the thing has a 2.3L and can barely get out of its own way.

Royal purple synchromax its made for manuals that call for an automatic transmission. Its 17 a quart but its worth it . It was a night and day difference in my Saturn I am very pleased with it.

I've used Redline MTL in those with good success, I'd probably use their new 70w80 stuff now.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Royal purple synchromax its made for manuals that call for an automatic transmission. Its 17 a quart but its worth it . It was a night and day difference in my Saturn I am very pleased with it.

I agree. I have a buddy who used it in his 96 MT and loves it. Very clean shifts. I used it the transfer case in my old 93 Explorer and it did a great job. Highly recommend

When I replaced the MT fluid in my Focus (MTX-75), the local guy who sells Royal Purple didn't have Synchromax in stock, so I used Rotella T6 5w40. I plan to change that out soon with some Synchromax. The Ford fluid is close to about $20/quart I think.

Redline or Amsoil dedicated manual trans fluids are much better for wear and shifting than ATF. A Lighter one of their offerings would be my first choice.

Give the fluid up to 500 miles to really get it worked in the pores of the metal.

Even ATF is outrageously priced [to me]. But for our trannys, I really believe in the best fluid for a bunch of reasons.

I've run valvoline durablend ATF, Regular Valvoline ATF, Redline D4, and Motorcraft Mercon.
the Redline shifted just a bit smoother, but the rest.. all the same..
I've read from Redline's site that the D4 is recommended vs. an MTL.

someday I'll try MTL and see what happens.

Of course a lube mfr will stay with the factory recommended type of fluid [in this case an ATF], for a bunch of reasons.
But what is really best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back