Zero electric motorcycle (dual sport version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend at the airport just purchased a Zero (brand) electric motorcycle with the biggest available battery. He was kind enough to let me take it for a good ride. My first impression was that of a small, lightweight dual sport bike (enduro) with the very pleasant aspect of no vibration. The battery is a 9Kwh Li-ion battery setup, with a built in charger. Zero has engineered this bike for maximum battery life, so wheelies and very rapid starts are out of the question. The acceleration is much like a full loaded airliner. Starts out gentle, but keeps on going and going and going, at an acceptable rate, right up to it's top speed.

My friend commutes on it, guessing about 25 miles each way, at highway speeds. Roads here are flat, open and traffic moves fast. The Zero will keep up with highway traffic with relative ease. But it won't go much faster. Passing at highway speeds is impossible. Much like a 250cc dual sport. The published "peak" top speed is 80MPH, and max sustained is 70MPH, where it will go 62 miles. City range is better at 112 miles, due to regenerative braking and lower drag.

Both my friend and I agree that the electric motorcycle is finally "just good enough" for basic use. It is just a touch small, light and has limited range, power and speed, when compared to a modern 250 enduro. I could easily see a situation where it's 60 miles range would be used up in a hurry, with a commute and a stop elsewhere. It's a good thing he can plug in at work, as the airport is remote and the nearest lunch is 15 miles away! It will be interesting to see how it works in real world, daily use and how much practical range it has. I suspect it will be a perfect commuter.

Would I like it? YES! It's smooth, comfortable, quiet, goes instantly, needs no warm up and has enough range to be worry free (with good management)

2012_zero-ds_detail_dashboard_1680x1200_press.jpg

2012_zero-ds_studio_black-rp_1680x1200_press.jpg

The cost is a stunning $14,000. The battery is rated at 300,000 miles lifespan, but I have no concept of how long it will last in years. The owner and I agree, there is no financially justifiable reason to own such a bike, other than the "cool" factor. It will never pay for itself. However, the owner can easily afford it and is willing to be an "early adopter".

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The owner and I agree, there is no financially justifiable reason to own such a bike, other than the "cool" factor. It will never pay for itself. However, the owner can easily afford it and is willing to be an "early adopter".

Understood. It is a cool little toy.

How heavy is the battery? At 9kW*hr, the energy storage is a little more than half of a Chevy Volt's battery, and seems like a much better ratio of stored energy to vehicle mass. Since motorcycles don't get more than a few thousand miles of use in a year, and hardly ever in the rain and cold, this may be a good application for pure-electric vehicle technology. This is assuming that the owner is willing to accept a less capable machine for a higher purchase price.

At 14 grand you would be looking at a long time before you broke even on the gas saved vs driving your car.

Still a neat item though...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
How heavy is the battery? At 9kW*hr, the energy storage is a little more than half of a Chevy Volt's battery, and seems like a much better ratio of stored energy to vehicle mass. Since motorcycles don't get more than a few thousand miles of use in a year, and hardly ever in the rain and cold, this may be a good application for pure-electric vehicle technology. This is assuming that the owner is willing to accept a less capable machine for a higher purchase price.

The owner of this bike commutes to the airport 6 days/week. He is building a homebuilt aircraft, and spends quite a bit of time at the airport. So, I suspect, this bike will see far more miles than the average e-bike owner.

I'm not sure of the battery's weight. However, the entire motorcycle is a "lightweight". The battery is a rectangular box, located where the engine would otherwise be. The difference between the 6Kwh bike and the 9Kwh bike of the same model is 44 pounds. I guess that means 14 pounds per Kwh. Or 126 pounds for the 9Kwh battery???

Put another way, 6.3Kg/Kwh or roughly 160watt hours/Kg. Sounds like some pretty safe, and probably quite reliable battery technology. Not exactly pushing the limits with energy density.

Of course, all of the above is just a guess and does not take into account other changes that may go along with the bigger battery.

Last edited:
160 w*hr/kg sounds like it's in the high end of current Li-ion battery technology. That works out to about double the energy density of the Volt's battery, which is 16,000 w*hr / 198 kg = 80 W*hr/kg. Seems like GM is being very conservative with their battery rating.

This thread blows out the margins on my browser. Is there anyway to read it without all the paging back and forth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back