Mobil Super High Mileage vs. Valvoline MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try a high mileage oil on my next couple of OCs to see if it slows the rate of consumption in the 3.5l. I'm still under warranty so I needed an oil that meets at least SM/GF4. This left me with MaxLife and Super HM.

I looked at the pricing at WM, MaxLife is $17xx and Super is $15xx so there isn't a major price difference. Second I looked at data sheets and this is where I start to have a question. Both are in 5w30 flavor.

MaxLife:
100C: 11.5
40C: 67
VI: 163
Pour Point: -42C
CCS @ -30C: 5800

Super HM:
100C: 10.4
40C: 61.4
VI: 159
Pour Point: -36C
CCS @ -30C: 6000

Why would MaxLife, the thicker of the two oils, have a lower pour point? Also I find it odd that the CCS value shows Super HM as being thicker than MaxLife. Anyone have any input?

I Still haven't made up my mind on what I'll try, I feel as though MaxLife has a better reputation and has been on the market much longer but I do like the lower 40C viscosity of Super HM.

Also check out Maxlife NextGen. According to PDS, it's slightly thinner than regular Maxlife at 40C. (61 vs 67cst). This could be a typo though.

PS: just checked Maxlife NextGen PDS again, noticed the 67cst number. It must have been a typo...

Last edited:
Are NOACK and/or flash point numbers available? If you're trying to improve oil consumption, go with the one with the lowest NOACK or highest FP. But from what you have posted so far, I'd put MaxLife in the lead.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Are NOACK and/or flash point numbers available? If you're trying to improve oil consumption, go with the one with the lowest NOACK or highest FP. But from what you have posted so far, I'd put MaxLife in the lead.

Super HM:
NOACK: Not Listed
Flash Point: 222C

MaxLife:
NOACK: 12
Flash Point: 221C

I'd use Maxlife. I like that it is thicker.

Maxlife has a lower PP b/c it probably has a higher syn content than the Mobil.

Wow, Valvoline actually listed a definite number for NOACK! Most of the time they just say <15%. 12% NOACK isn't spectacular, but it is good enough to pass GM's dexos spec, which is lower than API SN. But since Mobil's NOACK is unknown, and FP is within a degree between the two, I think MaxLife wins it.

go with the cheapest i happen to like the mobil we now have two drums of mobil 5w30 that we got because of the price and we will be using that oil as long as the price is good. the uoa's have been good

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Also check out Maxlife NextGen. According to PDS, it's slightly thinner than regular Maxlife at 40C. (61 vs 67cst). This could be a typo though.

PS: just checked Maxlife NextGen PDS again, noticed the 67cst number. It must have been a typo...

Nextgen maxlife has more moly than the red bottle, really works great in my moms 2.3 ranger, quiet, smooth, and thenext gen doesnt bog it down like red bottle seemed to. My 2 cents.

all the auto parts stores ar doing the 20 dollar rebate or gift card Valvoline promotion. Id take advantage.

FWIW I used Mobil hm last year, good winter hm oil, fast starts, didnt consume oil, kept my valve stem leak mostly in check. Its sn rated, and it seemed to get good mpg for a hm oil, but doesnt quiet the valvetrain as well as maxlife does in most vehicles. Its rated for up to 7500 miles, maxlife says 5 max.

Id say maxlife when weather.is warm, Mobil super when its colder when prices are same or close.

If thier is a deal for either one, grab the cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
FWIW I used Mobil hm last year, good winter hm oil, fast starts, didnt consume oil, kept my valve stem leak mostly in check. Its sn rated, and it seemed to get good mpg for a hm oil, but doesnt quiet the valvetrain as well as maxlife does in most vehicles. Its rated for up to 7500 miles, maxlife says 5 max.

Id say maxlife when weather.is warm, Mobil super when its colder when prices are same or close.

You mean valve seals? The HM oil would swell the seal around the stem. Thats good to know, I have that problem too, thanks.

or none and get QS defy
smile.gif

You mean valve seals? The HM oil would swell the seal around the stem. Thats good to know, I have that problem too, thanks.

Maxlife does NOT have seal swelling addpack , its actually seal conditioners. They made a big deal about it and recommend maxlife for use in a brand new car as well. Regardless , there is a change coming soon from Ashland I believe ......

Originally Posted By: Zako2

Nextgen maxlife has more moly than the red bottle, really works great in my moms 2.3 ranger, quiet, smooth, and thenext gen doesnt bog it down like red bottle seemed to. My 2 cents.

all the auto parts stores ar doing the 20 dollar rebate or gift card Valvoline promotion. Id take advantage.

Red bottle maxlife and nextgen maxlife have the same add packs. One doesn't have more or less than the other according to the pds listed on valvolines site.

Mobil super and Mobil super HM are guaranteed for 5k. Only Mobil super synthetic has the 7.5k oci rating from Mobil in the super line up.

Last edited:
I guess in my head I assumed it lasted as long as its predecessor,Mobil clean 7500. Its getting hard to keep up with the changes the oil copanies make . My mistake.

And I thought when next gen first came out, it was sm rated while white and red bottles went to sn, which caused a reduction in moly. either way, I preffer using the green bottle, seems a lil thinner, I like that its been double refined. Doesnt fly off the shelf like red bottle, so its always in stock
wink.gif

I guess in my head I assumed it lasted as long as its predecessor,Mobil clean 7500. Its getting hard to keep up with the changes the oil copanies make . My mistake.

And I thought when next gen first came out, it was sm rated while white and red bottles went to sn, which caused a reduction in moly. either way, I preffer using the green bottle, seems a lil thinner, I like that its been double refined. Doesnt fly off the shelf like red bottle, so its always in stock
wink.gif

The local Walmart doesn't even stock NextGen anymore, they've got some 5w20 on clearance for 3.50 a quart.

Right now you can get the Valvoline NextGen version of Maxlife from O'Reilly and AAP effectively for free, after $20 mail-in rebate. Check the promotions forum for details. In fact, you can grab 1qt bottles if you want. Because of this promotion, I'd say grab 10 quarts, apply for rebates, and use the oil. Then use the money you saved through the rebates to produce used oil analysis reports. Maxlife Nextgen is effectively the same quality oil as Maxlife Conventional. I have been impressed with a couple of Maxlife/Maxlife NextGen reports I have seen recently. It looks like you can go 7,500 miles easily on it, unless you're engine is harsh to its oil. The only problem is that you can only get 5W30 or 10W30 weight of Maxlife NextGen from any retail store. It seems like the 5W20 weight is not available, except through Amazon or Walmart by special order.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne

Maxlife does NOT have seal swelling addpack , its actually seal conditioners. They made a big deal about it and recommend maxlife for use in a brand new car as well. Regardless , there is a change coming soon from Ashland I believe ......

Interesting. Maybe that explains why M1 HM worked so much better for me than maxlife. M1 openly admits swellers, uses the word in the M1 FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back