Oil filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since auto-rx puts the junk in the filter we all need a good quality, low cost opener. Anyone have any suggestions? A hacksaw is a poor solution because of the time, shavings created, and danger to your fingers. What about a large pipe cutter? Cheaper and better?
confused.gif

I read somewhere about using a regular hand crank can opener on certain oil filters, I think Champion-made filters(SuperTech, Lee, etc).Took several passes, but worked, so they said. Right now I'm wondering if one of those hand crank *side cut* can openers(remember those from late night TV ads a few years ago?) might work on other filter brands. They cut under the seam, around the side of the can. Hmm..I have a Pure One that needs to be cut open, to see what kind of "goodies" it might have collected from using Schaeffer's #131 as a pre-oil change cleaner.
wink.gif
maybe I'll try it. If it works, I'll post back.

[ June 07, 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

a lathe works extremely well, and I've gone to a customer's shop a couple of times, but I've normally taken them to someone who sells filters and they have a cutter to show how great the good ones are.

If you check out the housewares section of department stores, you may be able to find one of those side-cut can openers for as little as $6. I know I did and the thing works great on cans ... don't know if I will try it on an oil-soaked oil filter, though.

It seems the side open can openers are from $10 to even $25. The lip on the filter is rather large but the gap on the can openers is pretty tight so I suppose I will have to go ahead and pay for the proper tool. I need one to open small ones for motorcycles as well as for cars. This one seems quite good www.powerhouseproducts.com but $69 is a bit high. Anyone know of any others that can adjust and works well?
smile.gif

$69? Wow! I don't know of any others- have you checked any other specialty tool companies? Lisle comes to mind.

As far as your first suggestion of a pipe cutter, might go to one of the el cheapo tool places like Harbor Freight & see what they have in a cheap pipe cutter. For $69, if the can openers don't work, I'll use the hacksaw or Dremel cut-off wheels.

Stuart, I searched Lisle's site and found no side cutters .. at least none that looked like they'd be good for oil filters.
frown.gif
That's a shame because you know if Lisle made one, it'd be well worth buying.
smile.gif

Yes, in addition to Harbor Freight, try Northerntool.com

At Harbor Freight today, I saw a generic Chinese pipe cutter priced at $16.99. Before you buy one to cut open oil filters, might double check the distance from center of cutting wheel to edge of closed side- looked a little shallow there to me, eyeball guess ~2" or a hair less. I saw nothing else there that looked like a good bet. Your results may vary...
wink.gif

Chris:

I've cut apart a half dozen or so oil filters. I went to a local rental outlet and rented a 4 inch pipe cutter -- worked quite well and fast. I've used a hacksaw too, but its messy. I rented the pipe cutter for about 7 bucks canadian. If you go the pipe cutter route, make sure the tool has a sharp cutting wheel.

Is there anyone on here that has the knowledge and time to cut open oil filters and rate them on their construction? That guy that did the mini mopar site had a bunch of other filters that were "purchased and awaiting disassembly" but I think the guy was abducted by aliens or something since he just totally disappeared without finishing the test. Plus I don't think he knew that much about what makes a good filter anyways. I bet someone on here could do a better job.

AC Delco UltraGold

Made by the same company that supplies Mobil 1, K&N, and their own brand.

The difference? The AC Delco Ultra Gold's synthetic fibers go to 8 microns, and have wire mesh over the filter element to prevent torn filters from ruining your day (unlike the other models above I'm told).
smile.gif

The case is VERY strong (you may have to drill this one if it gets stuck, a screwdriver would take a pretty good beating to puncture it... maybe an awl would work better), and mine (UPF1218) includes a bypass valve, and an antidrainback valve.

I got a 6-pack over an LS1.com GP for about $6/piece. They'll MSRP for about $12 to 15, same as the Mobil 1 filters.
smile.gif

[ June 27, 2002, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Steve in Seattle ]

Steve, they stopped production on the UPF filters, except for the UPF44 (the stock LS1 filter)

I used the longer UPF58 filter on my LS1 for a while, those filters are definitely built like tanks!

AC Delco told me they weren't selling enough to justify making them, although Vette owners
convinced them to continue with their filters.

Maybe if AC Delco sold these filters in more places other than Pepboys they would have sold
more!
pat.gif

Awe crap.

Thankfully I've still got four UPF1218 left.
smile.gif

Guess I'll have to see if the Mobil 1 or K&N crew have stepped up to the new design.

I don't get it, you'd think that the UPF1218 would have taken off... I mean how many MILLIONS of small-block chevy engines are out there?!

They just didn't advertise enough I guess (Gee, where I have heard this before
rolleyes.gif
). Glad I got my T/A and FILTERS before GM killed em for lack of advertisin.... umm... I mean sales.
mad.gif

JUST WHEN THEY FINALLY PERFECT THE **** THING THEY KILL IT!

[ June 27, 2002, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Steve in Seattle ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back