Rotella 15w40 in Kawasaki Concours 14ABS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out Kawasaki 10w40 with 1400 miles on it to Rotella 15w40. So far my impressions are the engine and shifting were both smoother on the fresh Kawasaki oil. It is an improvement over the Used Kawasaki oil, but so far I'm thinking I won't be using it again. I intend try Amsoil, Redline, and Mobil 1. Just my opinion...but this oil does not impress me so far.

Ok I've had the Rotella in now for a few hundred miles and I must say the stuff is growing on me. If I were to characterize what it with a word is that it's a bit gritty. Not gitty to the touch but gritty in the shifting and overall feel
With the butt dyno. It slis smoothing out though. Definitely better than 1400 mIles on Kawasaki 10w40 that has 1400 miles on it. Still not as smooth as fresh Kawi oil.

Last edited:
I've never cared for the Rotella. It seems to work OK for a few hundred miles but before I reach 1000 on the ODO it starts to get notchy. I think people like it because it's cheap and readily available.

I currently have Kawasaki synthetic 10W-40 in my ZX-14R and it's pushing 1000 miles on it and it's still working fine. I'll run it for a few thousand and then I'm going to try the Mobil-1 motorcycle oil that I bought when it was on sale.

In my old goldwing I've used several hdeo's, and here's how I rated then. 1- Delvac 1300 had the best shift quality overall. 2nd- delo 400, 3rd- Rotella T. All cost about the same but Delvac worked the best in my application. Never any clutch problems with any of those oils.,,

Rotella seems to hold up a bit better than the Delvac in the UOA's but I prefer the shift "feel" with the Delvac.

Also use the Delvac 15W-40 in the primary chaincases for our Harleys.

Ok I am starting to like this oil. Shifting has improved in 200 miles. Close to the Kawi oil now. Must be thinning out a little.

If you like the idea of a 15W-40 for year-round use AMSOIL's AME 15W-40 is a great oil for big Kawasaki 4's...

Cheers!

Oh no. Not another oil to try. If I hit one I just love...I'm stopping there. The Rotella gets better seemingly with each mile. It is off the do not use list. I'm trying Amsoil next followed by Redline, then Kawi Synthetic then M1 High Mileage or M1 MC oil. After that t6 and then I'll hit up hdeo Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Oh no. Not another oil to try. If I hit one I just love...I'm stopping there. The Rotella gets better seemingly with each mile. It is off the do not use list. I'm trying Amsoil next followed by Redline, then Kawi Synthetic then M1 High Mileage or M1 MC oil. After that t6 and then I'll hit up hdeo Amsoil.

I have an '09 Concours 14 that I've run Rotella 15w-40 in with good results. I'm trying the Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 right now, but I'll probably end up back with the Rotella on the next change. I cannot distinguish any difference between the two except for cost--shifting quality is identical.

On an unrelated note, I just got my Concours back from the dealer--had a valve cover leak that was causing a puff of smoke on start-up (from the front of the engine). On the Concours forums it seems fairly common for these bikes to have that issue--mine happened at 12,000 miles. . .you might want to keep an eye out for it, or maybe they redesigned the gasket for the newer models, I dunno. At any rate, Kawasaki's warranty covered the repair (which was VERY labor intensive, as they pretty much have to disassemble the bike to get to the valve cover). The good news is, I got my valves checked for free a few thousand miles early--they were in spec.

Have fun with the new Concours--it's a very capable bike. . .there are few sport-touring bikes that are a better value.

I have to agree about your comments re: big Kawasaki's as great sport-touring bikes.

I rode my ZX-11D (140 hp, 600 lbs. wet) from NJ to Portland, OR a couple years ago. The fact is that Kawasaki has a history of having both a cutting edge sport bike and a sport-touring bike (or two) in their line simultaniously.

Their ZX-7R was a lighter, more track oriented bike than the bigger original ZX-10 (remember Tom Cruise in TOP GUN?)& they also had the original 1000cc Concours in the lineup.

The '93 ZX-11D (also known as The King of the Hill) was the quickest, fastest (@176 mph) production motorcycle of the era and held that title until the CB1100XX Blackbird came along, then the Hyabusa hit the streets. My ZX-11 is far from being a crotch rocket as it is big enough to comfortably stretch out & ride for 500-600 mile days (which I did three days in a row on that trip). I'm not sure I need more than 176 mph but I am sure I can't lose 100 lbs. and gain 30+ hp!

How do you hold them down?

1000cc sportbikes gained a lot of legitimate cred both on the streets and the tracks as the major racing formula's basically went from 750cc to 1000cc. For almost a decade any of the Big Four Japanese manufacturer's 1000cc stock sportbikes (Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSRX1000, Kawasaki ZX-10R, Yamaha R1) would have run away from the racing bikes of a decade earlier. With 160 hp and weighing 420 lbs. you can understand why! Now look at the 2009 BMW S1000RR 4 cylinder bike: 180 rear wheel hp, 458 lbs., anti-lock brakes and traction control!

The ZX-11D was actually replaced by the ZZR-1200 (2002-2005)and surprized most of the bike magazine testers with its overall performance.

A series of ZX-12's then followed by the ZX-14 which is the basis for the Concours 14.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
I have to agree about your comments re: big Kawasaki's as great sport-touring bikes.

I rode my ZX-11D (140 hp, 600 lbs. wet) from NJ to Portland, OR a couple years ago. The fact is that Kawasaki has a history of having both a cutting edge sport bike and a sport-touring bike (or two) in their line simultaniously.

Their ZX-7R was a lighter, more track oriented bike than the bigger original ZX-10 (remember Tom Cruise in TOP GUN?)& they also had the original 1000cc Concours in the lineup.

The '93 ZX-11D (also known as The King of the Hill) was the quickest, fastest (@176 mph) production motorcycle of the era and held that title until the CB1100XX Blackbird came along, then the Hyabusa hit the streets. My ZX-11 is far from being a crotch rocket as it is big enough to comfortably stretch out & ride for 500-600 mile days (which I did three days in a row on that trip). I'm not sure I need more than 176 mph but I am sure I can't lose 100 lbs. and gain 30+ hp!

How do you hold them down?

1000cc sportbikes gained a lot of legitimate cred both on the streets and the tracks as the major racing formula's basically went from 750cc to 1000cc. For almost a decade any of the Big Four Japanese manufacturer's 1000cc stock sportbikes (Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSRX1000, Kawasaki ZX-10R, Yamaha R1) would have run away from the racing bikes of a decade earlier. With 160 hp and weighing 420 lbs. you can understand why! Now look at the 2009 BMW S1000RR 4 cylinder bike: 180 rear wheel hp, 458 lbs., anti-lock brakes and traction control!

The ZX-11D was actually replaced by the ZZR-1200 (2002-2005)and surprized most of the bike magazine testers with its overall performance.

A series of ZX-12's then followed by the ZX-14 which is the basis for the Concours 14.

Thanks for the good historical perspective. As this is my first Kawasaki, it's nice to get a feel for the lineage. I've owned Honda, Harley and BMWs and liked something about all of them. . all distinct personalities, but the Concours stands out in the group performance-wise. I was a little disappointed to have the valve cover leak so early, but I've been around long enough to know that any brand can have manufacturing anomalies. . .Kawasaki fixed it without and debate, so I can't really complain.

Thanks for the info on the leak! Incidentally, I noticed a week ago a very small puddle of gasoline under it after having filled it up and drIving it 50 miles. It had sat 4 hours too. Haven't seen any since but I'm almost sure I didnt overfill it. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Thanks for the info on the leak! Incidentally, I noticed a week ago a very small puddle of gasoline under it after having filled it up and drIving it 50 miles. It had sat 4 hours too. Haven't seen any since but I'm almost sure I didnt overfill it. Any ideas?

It's common to have fuel drip of the vent tube (lower left side, near the shifter) if you over-fill it and ambient heat expands the fuel in your tank; however, if you put 50 miles on it, you should be down about a gallon, so I wouldn't expect to see fuel dripping in your case. Try to determine if the fuel is coming out of the vent tube or not and go from there.

In my 09 ZG14 my favorite oil in 32k is Redline 10W/40, lasted over 4.5k miles. It was still shifting good when I dump it. Just can't leave it in any longer. I have Texastea 10w/40 in it now, this may be my new fav oil. I like it. Shifts very good, motor real quiet, less t/chain clatter on start up than other oils. At 6.60 a quart for full syn it is priced right. Tired of paying eleven for Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back