Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

^I'm way off base then, my apologies for not going back and re-reading.

If not at the head gasket then, where else is coolant entry occurring? Near some other cooling passage? It doesn't 'look' like much coolant entry, which I why I suggested perhaps clean out from previous ingestion of coolant. I realize the viscosity thickened up a bit. Have you thought that perhaps the new gasket is leaking somehow?
confused2.gif

Maybe re-torque the head?

I've hard when folks start having HG 'issues', sometimes re-torquing the headbolts can snug things back to where they need to be.

Since the HG was already done, maybe it wasn't torqued down perfectly the first time?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Maybe re-torque the head?

I've hard when folks start having HG 'issues', sometimes re-torquing the headbolts can snug things back to where they need to be.

Since the HG was already done, maybe it wasn't torqued down perfectly the first time?

That was what I didn't get around to saying. This was my suspect if a new HG still had trouble with coolant leaking.

I agree, a retorque is the reasonable thing to do. I will have that done the next time I have the valves adjusted.

I am still going to add a couple anti leak pills in the mean time.

Engine miles 335,394
3,027 miles on oil
Amsoil AZO 0W-30
EAO36 oil filter
2 Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic oil filters
Golden Eagle Magnetic drain plug
60ml Molyslip

Harry; Fun fact--335394 miles equals roughly 13 1/2 trips around the Earth's equator. That's a lot of driving over the years for this Civic, but it's handled it well. Wear metals look great compared to both universal and unit/location averages, so we don't find any mechanical issues developing. You noted you used Molyslip, and molybdenum did increase, The Potassium that we've been seeing for the past several samples is still present, but doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Fuel clered up entirely. The TBN is good at 6.7 and the particle count was 61/15/13, clean, Nice!

Aluminum---2PPM
Chromium---1
Iron-------6
Copper-----2
Lead-------0
Tin--------0
Molybdenum-384
Nickel-----0
Manganese--0
Silver-----0
Titanium---0
Potassium--35
Boron------104
Silicon----17
Sodium-----10
Calcium----3586
Magnesium--15
Phosphorus-733
Zinc-------830
Barium-----0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 deg F----60.1
cSt Viscosity@ 100 C---------10.25
Flashpoint F-----420
FUEL %------ Antifreeze %--?
Water %--0
Insolubles--0.3
TBN----6.7

Particle counts for 16/15/13;

>=2 microns--1065
>=5----402
>=10---111
>=15---43
>=25---10
>=50---1
>=100--0

You used to easily be able to buy Molyslip up here in Canada....disappeared from the shelves years ago.

Interesting to see just howq much moly it adds in a small amount - there is a VOA on it on here, and it has like 9,000ppm moly!!!

I added a can once years ago to a car I had, made the oil a dark, dark blackish green, don't know if it actually did any good....

As some have suggested, you 'may' have a small coolant seep, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

The Molyslip seems to have lowered the wear metals some, at worst, it didn't hurt anything. I noticed that the dry bearing shriek at startup is completly gone, you know, after the car has sat there over night. The RPM at startup jumps to anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 instantly so the extra Moly is a welcome addition.
The Amsoil AZO already contains around 150PPM Moly and has raised my idle to 750RPM, it used to be 600 to 650. Very pleased.

I got the Molyslip on ebay.

Originally Posted By: harry j
The Molyslip seems to have lowered the wear metals some, at worst, it didn't hurt anything. I noticed that the dry bearing shriek at startup is completly gone, you know, after the car has sat there over night. The RPM at startup jumps to anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 instantly so the extra Moly is a welcome addition.
The Amsoil AZO already contains around 150PPM Moly and has raised my idle to 750RPM, it used to be 600 to 650. Very pleased.

I got the Molyslip on ebay.

Way to go!

Total miles 338,498
miles on oil 3,104

Amsoil 0W-30 AZO, no oil added
EAO36 oil filter
twin Filtermag CT 3.2
Golden Eagle magnetic oil drain plug
2 ozs Molyslip

Harry: Silicon is slowly increasing, so we're wondering if maybe it's time to check or change the air filter. Then again, you had mildly elevated silicon in June and it went down thereafter. If you did'nt do anything to the air filter back then, maybe the xtra silicon was an additive in the oil, and maybe it's the case again now. Moly has increased, presuably due to the moly additive you're using. Do you notice any difference with it? (Yes) Potassium is still, mysteriously high. The TBN is strong though, and the Particle Count is clean at 16/15/12. No new problems found.

Aluminum---1 PPM
Chromium---1
Iron-------5
Copper-----2
Lead-------0
Tin--------0
Molybdenum-400
Nickel-----0
Manganese--0
Silver-----0
Titanium---0
Potassium--38
Boron------101
Silicon----19
Sodium-----11
Calcium----3828
Magnesium--17
Phosphorus-760
Zinc-------841
Barium-----0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 deg F-59.1
cSt Vicosity @ 1000 deg C-9.97
Flashpoint--410
Fuel %- Antifreeze % POS
Water %- 0.0
Insoluables %-- 0.4
TBN--7

Particle counts for ISO oil cleanliness code 16/15/12

>=2 microns-833
>=5---------308
>=10--------85
>=15--------33
>=25--------7
>=50--------0
>=100-------0

Can you do a block test to see if you have combustion gasses in your cooling system? Interesting to see K, Si, and Na together not sure what your Civic's system would have. Does K form in oil inside an internal combustion engine like this particular model Civic without entry of coolant?
confused2.gif

The silicon is due to the excess sealer the Honda mechanic used to prevent oil leaks on the valve cover. This happened some time ago when I had the valves adjusted.

The Potassium is due to a small coolant leak, not sure of the origen. Some anti leak tablets did help, but now they don't seem to be helping much.

Have you re-torquesd the head?

The coolant getting into the oil isn't going away.

Your regime is definely minimizing wear, and might be the best option, but over-heating might become an issue.

How long ago did you have the HG done? If it was done sloppily, or not done properly, I'd be looking for the garage to re-do it.

I'm just about to do the retorque addyguy, I am going to combine that with a valve adjustment.

The head gasket change was some years ago, 220,000 miles?

Sounds like a plan.

But I'm wondering - if the last blown HG warped the block, then of course the new HG will start to leak, as the block surface is not true.

When you had the HG done, was the block/head re-surfaced? If not, you may never get a clean seal on a HG.

Both were measured and were true. I probably should have had the head cut down some just for the greater efficiency potential.I now question whether the block and head were actually a good as they told me.

Miles on engine 342,005
Miles on oil 3,507
Amsoil 0w-30 AZO
no oil added
Amsoil Eao36 oil filter
Twin Filtermag CT3.2's
Golden eagle magnetic drain plug
2ozs Molyslip

Blackstone Labs

Harry: We've talked about potassium enough in these reports, so we'll leave that one alone. The rest of the elements in the spectral exam look good. Metals are low and well balanced. The only thing that was out of line was silicon, which might show dirt. It was quite a bit lower back in August 2011, so if you havn't changed the air filtration system lately, you might want to do so. Check the hoses and fittings too, though really, dirt doesn't seem to be a problem at all because your wear metals are so low. Tne particle counts read 13/12/10, clean The TBN was 6.5, still solid.

Aluminum----1PPM
Chromium----1
Iron--------5
Copper------4
Lead--------0
Tin---------0
Molybdenum--405
Nickel------0
Manganese---0
Silver------0
Titanium----0
Potassium---34
Boron-------103
Silicon-----21
Sodium------10
Calcium-----3992
Magnesium---17
Phosphorus--746
Zinc--------763
Barium------0

SUS Viscosity @210 F----62.5
cST Viscosity @ 100 C---10.93
Flashpoint F------------395
Fuel %---- Antifreeze---POS
Water %---0
Insoluables---0.4%
TBN----6.5

ISO Particle count code 13/12/10

>=2 microns-135
>=5 --------50
>=10--------14
>=15--------5
>=25--------1
>=50--------0
>=100-------0

Harry, i honestly don't understand why you've not chosen to extend your OCIs past 3k after all these reports. It's quite obvious that the engine is fine, even with the coolant leak. 5k would still be too short for this oil and all the other stuff you added to lower the wear metals...

I think he stated that he changes the oil as a hobby, and for enjoyment. He gives his "old" oil to his mechanic who re-uses it, so no waste. Not sure why anyone would want to "force" someone to do extended OCI's...if he finds it fun, why not let him do it?

Plenty of other people waste much more money than $100 a year on their hobbies. This is peanuts really.

I hope he keeps doing it for two reasons:
1) Tick off everyone who wants him to do 15k OCI since its what they do.
2) See how far his engine goes compared to similar engines doing 15k OCI's...I bet his goes further.

Back