Cessna 310 gear up landing yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I flew my 177RG up to FPR for breakfast. I overheard the tower talking with N2MB, a Cessna 310 with gear problems.

I ate breakfast and an hour later, stepped outside, just in time to see and video the poor guy land gear up. I was about 400 feet from the runway, however, the wide angle of the iPhone video makes it look very far away. It was actually quite close. The sound of the props hitting, the belly scraping and the engines backfiring as the plane ground to a halt was truly sickening.

However, the pilot did a perfect job, he and his passenger walked away.

That's a heartbreaking video to watch. I have witnessed 2 accidents, one at HHR during an airshow when a Ryan PT 22 went down in a parking lot after an engine failure. Fortunately both people walked away with mimimal injuries. And another at CMA when the pilot forgot to lower the gear on a Navion during approach which did major damage to the aircraft that did get repaired. The Ryan unfortunately was destroyed when the pilot mamaged to fly between 2 light poles to miss pedestrians and several cars.

I was excited to see 3 A380's and a 787 (in Boeing livery even) at LHR on Tuesday. If I'd seen this I would have forgotten completely about those.

At first it seemed the EMS people took a long time, but only about 30 seconds. I'd say everything about that landing was best case scenario.

Those Cessna's seem to drop like flies every summer in my neck of the woods..They either end up landing on I-75,State Road 869 or crashing into a house..My friend was almost killed a couple of years ago in Oakland Park when one of those planes came crashing into his house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back