Cat C7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cat C7 in a pete. The oil has just under 1500 hours on it. Running 7 gallons of delo 400 15w40 LE. Bypass filtration installed.

4_6511_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why do they list the abnormal TBN as 12.5? I think it would be more like 1.0.

The heading of the column in that section of the report says "Base", not "Abn". I interpreted it as the specs of a new/virgin oil for comparison.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The heading of the column in that section of the report says "Base", not "Abn". I interpreted it as the specs of a new/virgin oil for comparison.

Also looks like th oil in the engine is CI4+ and the comparison numbers are for CJ4.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I would gravitate to that, except that being the "LE" version (CJ-4) I would think TBN would be maxed around 10.0 - 10.5 and nowhere near 12.5. Something is amiss here.

However - that does not take away from the EXCELLENT wear and generall condtion of the engine and oil!

I hope that one did not OCI this load; it's still got a LOT of life left in it.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
How much make-up oil is added?

Charlie

None required at the time of bypass filter change and sample pull.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Also looks like th oil in the engine is CI4+ and the comparison numbers are for CJ4.

I had to go out on a location today so I did not have to call the lab about this. I will get ahold of them. soon. We changed our oil contract last year to the LE.

I've had labs do that and I had to call them up and explain that the oil doesn't even have that high of a tbn straight out of the bottle.

A very informing UOA. How many hours were the previous samples done at? The C7 uses the HEUI injection system, correct? I've always been a little more hesitant to try and go real long drain intervals with the HEUI injectors but your UOA makes it look like if everything else is good, it shouldn't be an issue. Last year we got a new piece of equipment with a C7 in it so I think I'll definately take samples before simply draining the oil.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
A very informing UOA. How many hours were the previous samples done at? The C7 uses the HEUI injection system, correct? I've always been a little more hesitant to try and go real long drain intervals with the HEUI injectors but your UOA makes it look like if everything else is good, it shouldn't be an issue. Last year we got a new piece of equipment with a C7 in it so I think I'll definately take samples before simply draining the oil.

I try and pull samples at about 250 hours. I change out the bypass filter then. But the sample looks good enough to me to run the bypass out to at least 500 hrs. The normal protocal was change all filters and oil at 200 hours. As your can see that is a waste of money and resources.

And yes I would take a sample and get the results before just changing the oil. It will save you money.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I've had labs do that and I had to call them up and explain that the oil doesn't even have that high of a tbn straight out of the bottle.

I have taken VOA's with the tbn that high on that oil.

Unless they changed it, the white paper said it has a tbn of 9. Pretty much all the CJ-4 oils have around 10 for a tbn. The CI-4 plus oils always had around 12.

According to Chevron's literature Delo 400 LE 15W40 has a VOA TBN of 9.6 (D2896). UOAs are done using the D4739 protocol which usually gives readings 1.5 to 2.0 lower than 2896.
I find it incredible (but I guess it's true!) that after 1500 hrs the TBN of this oil has essentially not dropped at all with zero makeup oil. Maybe it's the boron compounds; they work as antiwear but also as detergents and perhaps they don't show up on 2896 but do show up on 4739?

Charlie

Do you know what brand and part# full flow filter is on the engine? Also what brand by-pass filter is installed? We have a C7 and would love to know what your doing to get these great results!!!!

Originally Posted By: Johnson615
Do you know what brand and part# full flow filter is on the engine? Also what brand by-pass filter is installed? We have a C7 and would love to know what your doing to get these great results!!!!

For the full flow I just use a Baldwin B7700. It don't really matter which brand you use. Wix, Donaldson, NAPA or the brand of your choice will be fine.

As far as the bypass goes I use this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2599900#Post2599900

The ROI does not take all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back