How long can Kreen safely stay in sump??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search was NO help, so does anyone have any suggestions on time frame of Kreen use?

It is not quite like the 'quick flushes' (like Amsoil, etc.) where the instructions tell you to just idle for 15 minutes, and then dump it, and DO NOT drive the car, correct??

So just how long (time running/not running, miles) can it safely stay in one's sump before it possibly causes damage to seals, etc.???

Thanks in advance.

Dunno, I wouldn't want glycols in my sump any longer than it took to identify the coolant leak...wouldn't add them and run very long.

I have a friend that has had it in him sump for 3 months. His engine is running great but he only puts on around 500 miles a month. Probably going to do a new OCI soon after having Kreen in the sump for 2000K miles...

Ahh sorry you asked time running/not running, miles...Lets see...approx an hour, hour and a half running time, repeatedly over the course of the other statistic you arent interested in.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
There is no answer to your question; its all subjective. I personally would never put it in to start with

Then why are you even answering questions about Kreen when you do not use it?

Last edited:
Its awesome stuff, I always tell people to call the makers and ask questions. from doing that myself, I would have no issues with putting it in and leaving it there to do its work.

I do not use that stuff at all and I do not have any problems. And I do not worry about it being in the sump. If in doubt, use a good cleaning oil for short intervals.
cheers3.gif

I ran a pint for the last 1000 miles of an OCI. My brother has used it the same way with very good results, in automotive and marine applications. In the marine applications he uses it for 20-25 hours. Keep an eye on the oil level it flashes off.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
There is no answer to your question; its all subjective. I personally would never put it in to start with

Then why are you even answering questions about Kreen when you do not use it?

To help educate others

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Search was NO help, so does anyone have any suggestions on time frame of Kreen use?

It is not quite like the 'quick flushes' (like Amsoil, etc.) where the instructions tell you to just idle for 15 minutes, and then dump it, and DO NOT drive the car, correct??

So just how long (time running/not running, miles) can it safely stay in one's sump before it possibly causes damage to seals, etc.???

Thanks in advance.

We ran it EXACTLY as it says on the can... 16 oz in the oil AND 16 oz in the gas. used it for a lot of miles, around 1000 or so. As stated earlier, it flashes off in a hot engine (cleans the PCV too!).

Our results were nearly immediate and very dramatic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I ran a pint for the last 1000 miles of an OCI. My brother has used it the same way with very good results, in automotive and marine applications. In the marine applications he uses it for 20-25 hours. Keep an eye on the oil level it flashes off.

Thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Thanks in advance.

We ran it EXACTLY as it says on the can... 16 oz in the oil AND 16 oz in the gas. used it for a lot of miles, around 1000 or so. As stated earlier, it flashes off in a hot engine (cleans the PCV too!).

and THANK YOU as well, Steve!!
thumbsup2.gif

I've heard it mentioned on here that it tends to stick around in the oil system/passages, even after draining, correct?

If so, then I plan on doing a shortened 'flush' OCI with 5W-30 MaxLife, and a Pure One filter, after dumping the original Kreen-laden oil, before doing my summer/fall OCI with the boutique stuff. (STILL a whole lot simpler than the whole Auto-RX rigamarole!)
wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

How long (in time or miles) does it take to flash off? I would assume it has done all it is going to do at that point.

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

Thanks in advance.

How long (in time or miles) does it take to flash off? I would assume it has done all it is going to do at that point.

Varies by app, probably, but generally within a couple tanks of gas I'd image. It all isn't gone by the way, that's just one aspect of the process and the formulation isn't all just 1 ingredient, etc.

You still have fresh oil doing it's job and cleansing/suspending, while the oil filter tries to keep up. The goal is a shorter interval(2,000-3,000 miles; 3,000 would be the max) with 2 or 3 oil filter changes depending on the app/conditions prior to treatment. The domino effect. Engine environment is dynamic and the kreen starts a process that needs to be allowed to work to it's finish.

Thanks in advance.

until its gone

I've used Kreen in my sump for two applications. Each application was run for over 1K miles. The first application for Kreen was high speed, Highway miles for about 1.1K at the end of an OCI. You have to have some TBN left in the oil to run it at the end of the OCI.

The second application of Kreen was used on the refill of oil at the end of the OCI and also 12 OZ in my gasoline. I ran the Kreen for 1.3K miles, over 1 month, for daily short trips, short local trips and some long day trips in Florida at the end of the OCI. Drained the Kreen and old oil and added my current blend of Mobil oils.

I have over 3K on this oil, with no Kreen, and have used the current fill for a long distance drive from Orlando to Coney Island, local trips to NJ and local driving.

IMO.....Kreen did it's job and got the tough build up off along with any staining, judging from the condition of the oil at the oil changes. Now the Mobil Dino Diesel and Mobil Super Synthetic blend will continue with keeping the engine clean.

All I can say is Kreen Worked for Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back