Anybody here using AMSOIL 20W-50 in their V-Twin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pals ride boxer twins, but they're air-cooled and the application isn't too far off from yours. One of our gang has used Amsoil, and I've used Red Line, but we've all switched to either Mobil 1 15w-50 or Rotella T6 5w-40 with regular OCIs. You can get it at WM in jugs for half the price of any of the super-premium brands, and we haven't seen any differences in this application.

My 1800 Vtwin is water cooled so no, I use 10-40 M1 4t racing oil. If you have a hard working air cooled v twin like a harley or SS. 20-50 is a good all around oil particularly, if you expect to be in traffic on a day hotter than say 85* F.

Check your owners manual though, if it doesn't spec 50 weight then I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Thanks! I plan to run it in my 2012 FLHX at the next oil change!

Yes sir. I have a 2011 FLHX, with the 103 CI motor. I dumped the factory oil after 1000 miles, and switched to Amsoil. I run the 20w-50 in the engine, 10w-40 in the primary case, and 75w-110 gear oil in the transmission. The bike loves it. I've have owned plenty of bikes, and this is the first one that I have used Amsoil in. One thing that I did notice, is that it shifts alot better, using the heavier oil in the tranny. I don't do UOA's, so I can't tell you how it holds up in the engine. But what I've read about, it seems to be top-notch stuff. Just my 2 pesos.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Thanks! I plan to run it in my 2012 FLHX at the next oil change!

Yes sir. I have a 2011 FLHX, with the 103 CI motor. I dumped the factory oil after 1000 miles, and switched to Amsoil. I run the 20w-50 in the engine, 10w-40 in the primary case, and 75w-110 gear oil in the transmission. The bike loves it. I've have owned plenty of bikes, and this is the first one that I have used Amsoil in. One thing that I did notice, is that it shifts alot better, using the heavier oil in the tranny. I don't do UOA's, so I can't tell you how it holds up in the engine. But what I've read about, it seems to be top-notch stuff. Just my 2 pesos.

you can say that again
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
Very good oil although expect more valve train noise using this oil in your FLHX. Good Luck!

More valve train noise.....Please explain

Quote:
My 1800 Vtwin is water cooled

"V twin" is a euphemism for a Harley Davidson engine used by those who worry about copyright issues. It is not intended to apply to V twin engines by Ducati, Suzuki, or any others than Hardly Ableson.

If I wanted a really premier 20W-50 motorcycle oil, I'd use Schaeffer #707 (but I use Schaeffer #9000 5W-40 in my water cooled Suzuki V-twin).
http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/707.pdf

2008 Roadking Classic and 2011 Electra GLide Limited...
I have used Amsoil 20w-50 in all three holes; 20w-50 in the engine with 75-110w Gear oil in tranny, and Redline MTL in the Primary; Schaeffers 7000 20w-50 in engine; Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic 20w-50 in engine; SYN3 all three holes.

All of them seem to thin out around the 2500 mile mark. No UOA to prove this and maybe it's just me, but the bike starts to sound noisier. Maybe it's just the Texas heat during the summer. I may try the new Amsoil 60w oil in the engine in future, but
next service (15K) I'm gonna run REdline 20w-50 in engine, Amsoil 75-110w gear oil in tranny and either Redline MTL or Rotella in the Primary. I have new MTL left over from a Dodge 2500 6spd tranny service..

Last edited:
No explanation! Just from experience. Myself and some other fellow rider who have used synthetics in there Harley’s all have experienced more upper engine noise, some have tried Mobil 1 and claimed that the engine sounds like it has a marbles rolling around. Maybe its just some people ears are more sensitive than others.

My local Harley dealer recommended Red Lines MC 20W60. The viscosity in a Synthetic 20W50 flows so well that it won’t blanket the internal engine parts like petroleum 20w50.

I have a 2003 FLSTCI (Heritage Classic EFI). Bought it brand new in '03 and ran Harley oil for the first few oci's, then made a switch to Amsoil V-Twin 20W-50. I run the 20W-50 in all three holes and currently have 58,000 miles on the bike. Amsoil use to recommend 20W-50 for all 3 holes, but it seems more and more people put gear oil in the tranny. Is that the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back