Smart Gas Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that someone will read this and post an opinion on the message conveyed by the articles.
smile.gif

George

Well, it seems as though he's been using it long enough to speak on it. Then again I could tell you the same thing. A Mazda forum I belong to had a few guys trying it with good results. I tried it and saw nothing. The guys that did see good results were running cars that required premium. The only thing he mentions that I would question is the use of taller tires to drop RPMs. A taller tire would show less miles driven than a smaller tire and would show better MPG. Other than that I tend to believe the guy.

Interesting. I work in an analytical testing lab, we have some high purity acetone lying around... think I'll "borrow" a little and see if it does anything. Will post results if I remember.

Interesting things he says about the government, Detroit automakers, and corn farmers. It really doesn't make sense that if alcohol is that bad why it's used. I didn't have any luck in my Protege, but I might as well gve it a try in my '06 Civic and my '03 Mazda6 since I still have some left.
What I remember seeing on the Protege forums was better gas mileage and reduced emissions. So even though I didn't get results, I know some folks did, and that leads me to think it would be worth a try. I'm not sure about engine assembly lube though. Just can't bring myself to put it in my gas.

I've tried lab-grade acetone from our lab. Zip-o increase.

Also, taller tires will LOWER apparent mileage if you don't correct for them, not increase it.

Thanks for the replies.

I have used an acetone/toluene 2oz/1oz + 4oz MMO per 10 gal for a couple of years in a 2000 4.6 F150 now with 53000 miles. I document mpg each fill up. I am and have been getting 15/17 mpg in city and 18/20 mpg highway, driving legal speeds, since buying the truck. I cannot claim any mpg gains with the added items but if I should go a couple of tanks of fuel with out using them and then, resume using them, I experience noticeable improvements in performance and an increase of over all smoothness of engine operation. I do not make a concentrated effort to obtain good mileage nor do I drive exceedingly hard. Shift points are usually around 1500 rpm, seldom over 2000 rpm.

I have been using Motorcraft 5W20 via a Motorcraft oil filter the life of the truck. The truck uses not enough oil to require adding any over 5000 mile oil changes. Yesterday, at 4000 miles on the last oil change, I replaced the Motorcraft filter with a Baldwin and added two quarts of Havoline SAE 40 wt to the existing 5W20. This brought the oil level to the top of the X of MAX on the dip stick. I have noticed no foaming or anything that suggests that the crankcase is over filled. I have not driven enough miles since this change to check for results but will as time goes on and will post them here.

My plan is run this oil mixture until I clock 8000 miles on the current oil change or 4000 more miles. Barring any mishaps, I will then go to Rotella T dino 20W50 X 6 plus one full synthetic for a total of seven quarts or one quart over the recommended OEM amount. This is because these are locally available while the Torco oils mentioned in his articles are not. I will, also, increase the acetone from 2 to 3 ounces per ten gallons of gasoline. This is of course as per recommendation in the attached articles.

Why am I doing this? It is because I have an interest in things of this nature and everybody needs to be doing something. Also, I believe that it is OK to suspect that vehicle manufacturers and oil companies may place profit higher than what is best for their customers. So far, my participation in this test has not substantiated this but I still think that it is OK to believe that there may be something to it.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to the articles.

George

Taller tires do lower mileage. I don't know why I said that. Should've been in bed instead of being on the computer. I can say it didn't do anything for me, but worked for others. Funny thing is, it worked on cars running premium. I also think it might work well where alcohol is being used in gas. I think better results can be seen when the gas isn't blended for winter too. If someone were to try it in a car requiring premium, we could see if there is a difference. I might try it again, but don't think I'll see anything.

I am embarrassed! I just read all of AE Haas' writings in the "Interesting Articles section of this forum. They are not about gas milage but about motor oils, but none the less, they contradict most of on what I based this topic. I now regret having started this post at all.

Of course, I have no way of knowing which author is correct in their presentations, but it is for sure and certain that my jumping to the conclusion that the Smart Gas articles were correct was totally asinine.

I think that it is best that a moderator delete this post and we should pretend that it never existed.

Please accept my apologies for interrupting the tranquility of this forum.

George

I tend to take stock in what Dr. Haas says. His responses and presentations seem to be well thought out. You did a good job looking for a source to improve gas mileage. I think that's how some products on this forum get discovered. If folks didn't get out and research, this forum wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is. Even though you stumbled onto something suspect, at least you took the time to look for it.

The Smart Gas article may or may not be true, but it's an interesting concept. Some people see a difference in mileage using acetone, some don't... who's right? Hard to say.

Don't apologize though, you inspired me to give it a shot.
smile.gif
Just today I added about 2.5 oz acetone before filling my 10 gallon tank. Made sure to add the acetone first so the gas will mix well with it. I don't really expect to see much difference, but it's a fun experiment, and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. More news as it becomes available.

I have tried the addition of acetone recently myself. I see an increase of about 1.5 miles per gallon (spread over 6 tankfuls) IF I use fuel with MTBE. I don't see a difference if fuel with ethanol is dosed with ace. My personal feel is that the alcohol alters the chemistry of the fuel in some way that the ace doesn't have as much of an effect, and that ethanol fuels have a tendency to hold water. YMMV.

Its funny what people will do to gain the maximun performance possible. If its not rated for your automoble dont use it. Acetone is for cleaning and it eats away rubber and what not. I bought a truck that gets ok mileage so ill let it be. I remember buying the tornado fuel saver what a joke that was.

TRDUSA2002, you may be absolutely correct. Thank you for you comments.

I agree that it is interesting to note how many will go how far to attempt improvements in a product that has been developed after millions if not billions of dollars have been spent to develop that product assumably to perform at it's optimum. The pros and cons of whether or not acetone is detrimental to components of the fuel system is as good a subject for debate as the notion as to whether or not using it makes any improvement in the operation in what it is being used, or as to why removing the silencer and adding a dropin K & N is thought by many to improve performance. The silencer is also a product of that same high dollar research.

I think that it is a bit unreal to expect high mpg from a pickup, especially one that is used for any kind of chores such as hauling or towing. My interest is more in deriving a little more umph from my 4.6L as it is marginally weak for my use. However, it is what I have and it has no payments. With that in mind, a little acetone here and a little heavier oil there may produce that little extra for which I am seeking.

Additional research in this same forum offers support for both thinner and heavier oils. Some argue that using a heavier viscosity oil should be related directly to a heavier work load while others argue that Ford has improved the performance of their 5W20 to the point that thinner is better. I do not know which is the case.

I am leaning to the notion that Ford's recommendation of 5W20 is mighty close to what my research suggests that I should use. However, since I have added the two quarts of SAE 40 to my 5W20 and installed a new filter, I will run it a couple of thousand miles just to discover the results. Who knows? There may be a little more umph in this combination or the whole kit and kaboodle may come unglued untimely soon. I'll just have to wait and see. As to the acetone, I'll have to wait and see about that as well.

As always, compliments to all for an excellent forum.

smile.gif

George

It's sometimes worthwhile to try these little tricks to get better performance. Car/oil/gas manufacturers have no idea who's going to end up with their product, so they tend to have conservative recommendations to make sure things work reasonably well under most conditions. If you know enough about cars to do something like adjusting your engine timing to get better gas mileage, go ahead, but 99% of people don't know much about cars beyond "I put gas in this hole to make it go" so you can't blame the corporations for playing it safe. But just because the stock product works decently doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

Changing the timing on most OBD2 cars is not possible, as the computer will reset it to what ever it thinks is best. Larger tires will improve gas mileage just like going into to overdrive or fifth gear, but only if the engine is not being lugged and you reprogram the ECM for the right tire size.

For those watching here, I posted my acetone results in the general forum, in the "new invention saves gas up to 20%" thread. But basically the acetone improved my mileage by only about 1% which is negligible. Sorry folks, hope nobody rushed out for shares of acetone manufacturers.

Car Talk column in the paper today answered a question about acetone in gas... totally debunked it, said it was a bad idea ... bad for rubber, bad for paint... etc.
I don't get the SmartGas site at all, I think the guy is off the wall (JMHO), but don't understand his motivation, the work that goes into the web site, and what is he pushing? No way do I think a Neon will get 51 mpg. Oh, and be sure to get rid of your plastic gas jugs and replace them wit metal ones because gasoline will dissolve the plastic ones! He says it is all public service, non-profit, and he should include something about paranoia for the rants against oil companies and the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back