Aged STP (possible) score! Is this the good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the local mom and pop indie convenience store this morning and way back on the dust-covered shelf they had some STP oil treatment dated 2004. The label says it contains olefin copolymer zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. It's the good old think stuff that you can't hear slooshing around when you shake the bottle. They had about 16 bottles on the shelf and the best part is that there was a price of $1.89 on the bottle. I held my breath as the lady scanned it and the scan didn't register, so she manually rang it up as $1.89. My question here: Is this the original good stuff with the high zinc concentrates? I'll be building a couple of engines this summer with mechanical lifters and, along with some good detergent oil, I'm planning on using this stuff for the initial break-in oil.
Yea, I'm planning on getting the other 15 bottles.

So you bought "STP oil treatment", and you are "planning on using this stuff for the initial break-in oil."

Say again? I hope you are joking.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: JGW
So you bought "STP oil treatment", and you are "planning on using this stuff for the initial break-in oil."

confused.gif

Doesn't the old STP have a lot of zinc? And no, it would be in addition to good oil, not as 100% fill.
Had I been joking, I would have asked an uninformed forum.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

confused.gif

Doesn't the old STP have a lot of zinc? And no, it would be in addition to good oil, not as 100% fill.

Old STP would be 1990 era stuff. I think they wimped out sometime after 2000, but I don't know when. I think it was when they stopped selling the red bottle stuff.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
[/quote]

Old STP would be 1990 era stuff. I think they wimped out sometime after 2000, but I don't know when. I think it was when they stopped selling the red bottle stuff.

Thanks for giving me a clear answer instead of just throwing out another question. I guess the rest of the bottles will stay on the shelf.

confused.gif

Not only the red bottle stuff, but also the black bottle stuff. Was not thick like the blue bottle stuff.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Have you considered using a purpose-specific break-in oil instead?

That's probably what I will use. I'll be rebuilding a couple of mid-40s antique farm tractors this summer and the valve springs pressure will be pretty mild, so I probably won't be losing any sleep over the zinc levels. I'm aware of the break-in oils and I also have about a dozen bottles of the old SLOB additive waiting to be put to use.
I just happened to see the price of this stuff and I guess it was too good to be true.

"And no, it would be in addition to good oil, not as 100% fill."

I know.

"Had I been joking, I would have asked an uninformed forum."

I figure you were joking, since you were considering on using "aged" STP oil treatment, in spite of the the slew of more recent products that can provide your engines with that extra boost of zinc. I know, you couldn't resist the price...
smile.gif

That depends how you define 'old'. Eight years old is pushing it, don't you think? Though I could be wrong.

The old STP blue bottle was great to lube up a Cam with after a Cam and lifter job. We used it plenty of times as a bath for a new Cam. It worked great, never an issue installing a new Cam after bathing it with STP.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we used to lather it all over everything back in the day...

Yep, long term storage of engine blocks too. We'd mix some up with oil and coat the internals of the engine block with it, and anything else we thought would rust. Wrapped it up with heavy plastic from a heavy duty garbage bag, seal it up real good. Years later that engine block would be in the same condition we put it away in.

Thanks for giving me a clear answer instead of just throwing out another question. I guess the rest of the bottles will stay on the shelf. [/quote]

You could always send in a VOA to find out what is it in.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Loobed said:
Quote:

Thanks for giving me a clear answer instead of just throwing out another question. I guess the rest of the bottles will stay on the shelf.

You could always send in a VOA to find out what is it in.

there was a relatively recent VOA of STP oil treatment.... I was loaded with zinc and phosphorus IIRC. good stuff IMO

Last edited:
I was at menards a couple days ago and ran into this i didnt think they made it anymore it is not on STP site i am only using 1/2 a bottle per oil change to boost zinc and from most of the prices i have seen to do so this has to be one of the cheapest at 1.99 per bottle thru 6-10 usually 4.99 i tried to link the web address and couldnt or just post the pic i took and couldnt do that either sorry but its the red bottle STP 4cyl treatment it even has the MSDS at menards site http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardwa...228-c-10098.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back