Amsoils 25K no match for GM 30K drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug does have a point their....
grin.gif

Some consider the 25k/1 yr. Amsoil OCI the minimum, when UOA's are performed at 12k and 24k, especially in light that Amsoil's testing includes half again as much mileage/time to allow for a "cushion".

Just about any oil will thicken during 25,000 mile of use. At some point, the extra fuel burned is more than the cost of changing the oil. Is there any situation where 25,000 miles would be economically favorable?

Not really Doug. Comparing a singular oil that time and time again thins in normal use under 5-10K miles to an entire oil line up that has an occasional oil that thickens to SAE 40, with no apparent increase in wear at 15-30K miles in certain hot or dirty engines is simply not relevant.

Also I'm not sure the high iron in M1 UOA's is all valve train wear.

On a personal level - just like you've never had M1 0W-40 thin in your cars, I've never had Amsoil of any variety thicken in my cars, or customer's cars.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'm sure XOM will try and get the contract if it ever happens.

Ummm, yeah, a lot of us in the current model SAAB 9-3SS community have already verified that 15k mile OCIs in our 2.0L turbo engines are very much doable, and that results come out good... A number of these folks contribute to this board.

The GM-LL-025-A Spec oil allows up to 32k km (20k mile) OCIs, and the GM-LL-025-B spec oil allows up to 78k (30k mile) OCIs.

The advanced oil life computers in these cars will cut the OCIs short, depending on driving profile. But the oil still lasts a long time...

You MUST comply to these oil specs though... and, suprise, suprise, guess who is the only oil manufacturer that has this spec oil in the USA? XOM in their 0w-40 formulation...

I believe that amsoil 5w-40 'meets' these specs, and Id bet that GC does too... but warranty is an issue at this stage of the game. Ill likely try other oils once warrantee is over, though I want to stick to the thinner ones as this car gets EXCELLENT MPG, and I dont want to sacrifice that.

JMH

GM4718M would how many miles in comparison to the GM-LL-025-A Spec oil allowing up to 32k km (20k mile) OCIs, and the GM-LL-025-B spec oil allowing up to 78k (30k mile) OCIs?

What oils do we currently have that are GM4718M? What brands will have the GM-LL-025-? specs?

I'm just wondering if Mobil 1 will continue to be brand of oil that they stamp on their oil caps like the GM4718M specified engines.

I do agree though that with all the coolant ingress among GM engines, they had better improve and test or this will be really bad for GM, being that they are in a bad position right now.

I found the GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-025 spec. :) A certain 5w-40 synthetic oil, are there others?? I didn't think they existed yet, but I was wrong.

25K? 30K? I have been using Schaeffer's 5W-30 in a 97 Chevy K1500 4WD w/5.7L Vortex. Started w/Schaeffer's at 190K, now have 234K and have been using oil analysis every 10K. I have achieved a 37300 miles on a change. My mpg increase from an average of 16.4mpg to 17.1 mpg. I then started tracking where I was purchasing fuel and have increased mpg to 17.8 mpg average. thought you might like to know.

Sounds like one engineering dept (oil life) is trying to push their own agenda at the other engineering dept's cost (intake/cooling).

Seriously, they need to fixt their coolant leak problem. What is so hard about spending a couple more bucks and save 2 hr of warranty labor alone?

quote:

Ummm, yeah, a lot of us in the current model SAAB 9-3SS community have already verified that 15k mile OCIs in our 2.0L turbo engines are very much doable, and that results come out good... A number of these folks contribute to this board.

For those who don't already know, one of the "minor modifications" that allows this 50% increase in length of OCI (from 10k mi max to 15k mi max) is a 50% increase in oil capacity (from 4.2qt to 6.3qt). Maybe Terry can comment whether or not increasing OCI length is in a direct line with increasing oil capacity?

quote:

The GM-LL-025-A Spec oil allows up to 32k km (20k mile) OCIs, and the GM-LL-025-B spec oil allows up to 78k (30k mile) OCIs.

This is true only for their non-turbo engines. The A-spec (gasoline) use limit for their turbocharged 2.0L Ecotec engine is 15k mi.

quote:

The advanced oil life computers in these cars will cut the OCIs short, depending on driving profile. But the oil still lasts a long time...

You MUST comply to these oil specs though...

This is the "appropriate oil quality" portion of the equation. The way Saab's TSB is written, however, implies that non-conforming oils can be used as long as the OLSM is ignored & conventional OCIs are employed. Realistically, there are a number of premium syn (Grp4/Grp5) oils that could be used in a turbocharged Ecotec with a synthetic oil programmed OLSM. But GM wants to keep their CAFE numbers as high as possible, so they aren't going to list really protective oils that lower the average by even a fraction.

quote:

and, suprise, suprise, guess who is the only oil manufacturer that has this spec oil in the USA? XOM in their 0w-40 formulation...

I believe that amsoil 5w-40 'meets' these specs, and Id bet that GC does too... but warranty is an issue at this stage of the game. Ill likely try other oils once warrantee is over, though I want to stick to the thinner ones as this car gets EXCELLENT MPG, and I dont want to sacrifice that.

I'm not sure how the standings are now, but oils originally carrying the GM-LL tag ranged completely across the ACEA rating scale (i.e., A1, A5 & A3). That would imply that the GM-LL spec only catered to environmental "credits" & not towards long-term protection. And with Saab's recent history of turbo & engine problems, I certainly wouldn't sacrifice mechanical life for a few tenths of 1% fuel savings.

But that's just my POV...

offtopic.gif

Slickstuff - 37,300 miles!?!, that's great. As was mentioned above in how sump size can make an impact...How much fresh oil is needed when changing? Any consumption or leaks requiring top-up?

I bet everyone would love to see your UOA's for this truck in the used oil forum, as well as the notes of operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back