Time between fillups / fuel stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would you regularly keep the same fuel in your vehicles tank before feeling the need to add fuel stabilizer?

It has been taking 2 to 3 months to use half a tank in the truck. I've been filling it at around half a tank figuring keeping it full and adding fresh gas sooner is a good thing.

I'm thinking maybe regular sta-bil would be a good idea with those intervals, but not sure if it's really necessary? I don't want a bunch of gum and varnish developing in the fuel system.

I need to check the prices of stuff, but if MMO ends up being cheaper to dose the fuel, I wonder if that would be enough to keep it stabilized for around that time period.

Generally, pump gas is good for 6 months since it was delivered to the station. If you buy from a "high traffic" station that is refueled often, assume you get 6 months to a tank before Stabil is needed.

I would burn 90% of that tank before refilling with fresh gas. This would still be within the 6 month period for you. I have much experience with storage of vehicles, and 6 months on a tank has never been a problem. If you go past that, use Stabil. One dose for up to a year, or 2X dose for up to 2 years.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
6 mo is too long

Agreed. I say throw some Stabil or another stablizer in the tank next time you fill up or if you are down to half a tank throw some in then top it off. That way you know the fuel wont cause any issues. It's cheap insurance

Edward & Bgallerger, in an attempt to help the original poster, I responded with my actual experience of 10 years of storage of five family vehicles, that range from a Cadillac Brougham to a Chevy Silverado. These five have never, ever had a problem with the routine I described above.

Additionally, I have emails from major oil companies and FAQ's from their websites that verified their gas lasts up to 6 months.

What, facts, if any, did you base your "6 months is too long" statement on? How can you possibly explain my repetitive outstanding results, IF there was some kind of issue with 6 months old gas? Do tell.

i use MMO every fill, course my fill is really 1/2 tank. i have been using it for at least 20 years. on 4-5 different cars/trucks. with no trouble. but i cant prove what help it has done, except my engines start very fast. and all my engines last a LONG time.

Thanks for the input everyone. gfh77665, you've eased my worries a lot.
I think I'm just going to try dosing MMO at 4oz per 10 gallons since it has some fuel stabilization properties and lubricates everything.

Always thought star tron enzyme fuel treatment looked like it might be good, but I haven't found it in the stores I go to.

Startron is carried at some walmart stores.....typically in the Sporting goods/marine section....it's kinda pricey though.....states it can treat 100 some gallons of fuel though....in a 8 oz. bottle......so has me kind of perplexed
wink.gif

When it comes down to dollars and sense, etc....the Startron is probably cheaper than the MMO.....but MMO seems to be around the block longer than Startron
smile.gif
So go with your gut....

BTW, gotta say, my brother went through Navy Boot camp, plus A school, equated to about a year and a half away from home.....he didn't have ANY problem cranking up his Pontiac Sunfire when he got back home
wink.gif
Well.....it needed a jump start....but other than that, no fuel related issue.....he just topped the half tank up with fresh fuel, and it still purrs.....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back