Which VW 504/507 compliant oil would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
Big John, the first three oil changes are free with any new VW. Hope they didn't dupe you somehow.

Oh yeah....I got the first three for free. Matter of fact, as a condition of the purchase, I made them give me a Free Fourth Change. We are at 36k on the Touareg, so we have 4k left before the final, free one.

After that....I am on my own and starting to shop for cheap ESP....now.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
I'm looking to stock up on oil for my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI (the common rail CJAA engine). All of the following meet 504 00 / 507 00 specifications, but the prices vary:

Total Total Quartz Ineo +$0
Pentosin Pento Super Performance III +$4
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 +$5
Castrol SLX Gold (factory fill) +$14
Mobil 1 ESP +$14
Any advice is much appreciated.

I go with the Total Quartz 9000 0W-30
I think it's a great oil.

Yes, but I keep reading horror stories about the wrong type and wrong amount of oil being used by dealers, and my dealer in particular. If I can't absolutely ensure that they're using the right stuff (i.e. watch them pour it), I'd rather do it myself - or just bring them them my oil of choice.

The dealer stories are real. We just had an overfill for the THIRD time with our '09. One time the vehicle had to be towed back to the dealer (who shall remain nameless) after an overfill with the WRONG oil, another time it had to be pushed back from the pick up lot a quart high. These were the free changes.

But I was feeling a little lazy this past week and had them do it this time. Figured after three years they had mastered an oil change on these. We left a rather direct note reminding of the exact fill amount, and still they overfilled it. Again. Apparently, they don't know (and don't care to know) the difference between liters and quarts. When the counter girl said they put "4.34 quarts" in it and charged us for five one liter bottles (at least it was the right oil), I knew they botched it yet again. Worst thing was the SA tried to cover it up when we called him on it. That's the last time there for us.

Do yourself a favor and change it yourself. It's not that hard if you don't have a lazy attack. There are a lot of overfilled TDIs on the roads where we live.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Yes, but I keep reading horror stories about the wrong type and wrong amount of oil being used by dealers, and my dealer in particular. If I can't absolutely ensure that they're using the right stuff (i.e. watch them pour it), I'd rather do it myself - or just bring them them my oil of choice.

The dealer stories are real. We just had an overfill for the THIRD time with our '09. One time the vehicle had to be towed back to the dealer (who shall remain nameless) after an overfill with the WRONG oil, another time it had to be pushed back from the pick up lot a quart high. These were the free changes.

But I was feeling a little lazy this past week and had them do it this time. Figured after three years they had mastered an oil change on these. We left a rather direct note reminding of the exact fill amount, and still they overfilled it. Again. Apparently, they don't know (and don't care to know) the difference between liters and quarts. When the counter girl said they put "4.34 quarts" in it and charged us for five one liter bottles (at least it was the right oil), I knew they botched it yet again. Worst thing was the SA tried to cover it up when we called him on it. That's the last time there for us.

Do yourself a favor and change it yourself. It's not that hard if you don't have a lazy attack. There are a lot of overfilled TDIs on the roads where we live.

I am really fortunate in this category. My dealer is actually really good. The only thing they screwed up was the AdBlu.....where they thought the tank was 2L in capacity.....(it's really over 4 gallons).

Their parts counter provides the oil to the technicians. There are glass windows through the parts counter and I can see them put the correct number of liters of SLX on the counter to the technician. Nice piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back