Toyota 0W20 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

Best,
Erica G, Prius Product Marketing, TMS, USA

Soooo.................let's see the specifications.....hmm....

Well, we now now more about this American made oil and it does seem to be an industry leading product with it's amazingly high VI of 214. A resent VOA has been posted in that section.

I just bought a Tacoma w/ 2.7 liter and the cap says 0-20 and the manual says to use 0w20 @5K oci but 5w20 is fine if you can't get 0w20.

The thing takes 6 qts. They gave a voucher for 1st 4 oil changes free.
So, I'll check to make sure they are using toyo 0-20.

I do like the toyo filter too.

Does anybody here know what amsoil cost per quart if you sign up to be a dealer?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Just checked with my local Toyota dealer and was told the following over the phone:

They already carry the Toyota brand 0W-20 motor oil.
It's in bulk and is sold OTC in 1 liter bottles.
It's made for them by ESSO (Imperial Oil Canada).
Price is $5.65/liter which is very good if it's a true 0W-20 syn' but I'm suspicious as it sounds very much like a dino 5W-20 at that price.

I'm going to drop by and take a look at the bottle myself.

Just got back from the Toyota dealer. Their 0W-20 oil(part # C0009-00W20-12) is not claimed to be synthetic. The only thing it says on the bottle is that it is SM an energy conserving.

I also contacted Honda. They also have a house brand 0W-20 that they say is not synthetic.

Honda has both a semi-syn 0w-20, and a newer full syn 0w-20.

Last edited:
Since this post is from 2009, I just want to clarify (before someone gets all confused) that the Toyota 0w20 is synthetic.

There is much more recent information regarding Toyota oils on here.

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone.

I bet the dealer will charge you $7 -$8 a quart for toyota 0w20.

This is from Toyota's FAQ page. Sounds like using non Toyota oil is OK.

Quote:
Genuine Toyota motor oil 0W-20 utilizes a Toyota-specific additive package that will provide the best results for oil performance and fuel economy. It’s what the engine was designed to use. However, other 0W-20 synthetic oils can be used, even though they aren’t optimized for Toyota engines.

Disclaimer: 2010 and 2011 Tacoma 4-cylinder and 2010 4Runner 4-cylinder with engine 2TR-FE, while synthetic oil vehicles, have oil change intervals of 5000 miles/6 months.

Also, if 0W-20 is not available, 5W-20 oil may be used, but it must be replaced with 0W-20 within 5000 miles/6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back