still leaking from thernostattbought ther

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I let it sit for 10 mins like the gasket maker says to....

What brand and type of gasket maker are you using? I think this is your problem. 10 minutes isn't enough time for the gasket maker to cure fully. It still needs drying time after the parts are assembled before it can stand up to liquids and heat. Permatex suggests letting Ultra Black sit overnight if possible. Usually an hour is enough, but most silicone gasket makers will need more than 10 minutes for a good seal.

For t-stat housings, I like a Fel-Pro cut gasket and Permatex Form-A-Gasket sealant (which has an even longer curing time than Ultra Black, 4 hours minimum). It will not leak.

Also, maybe try using a torque wrench if the housing seems flimsy or easily warped.

I should have been more clear . I've let it sit 24 hrs and a few times for several hours it never makes a difference. When I was a kid my grandpa would put it all together and start it up immediately and never had a problem I've done that on the past
a well.

I can't find any info on those, but they sounds suspiciously like knock offs of Permatex products. I'd be skeptical of their quality.

I'd pony up the extra couple dollars to get a quality gasket maker/sealant. Given the repeated problems you are having, it's time for Ultra Copper...
Permatex Ultra Copper

I've seen people slap things together too and sometimes it works and sometimes it causes a come back and free repair. It's better to seal it right the first time, but it sounds like you are doing that and the gasket maker isn't doing its job.

They are both versa chem products I'm doing the job again right noe there was a bunch of gasket maker in the bolt holes so that could have been an issue
We shall see

Clean it off again - all sealing surfaces.
Coat with RTV [also use any gasket O ring], let set up a few minutes, then assemble.
Let it sit/cure before filing it up. How long? I'd give it a couple of hours, minimum. Overnight is good.

Ford Grey....... Chevy TB housings are a breeze compared to the ones on the front of a Windsor intake, and I've never had one leak
whistle.gif

Well guess why it leaked all along. [censored] parts. I took back the cheap aluminum one got a cast iron one
That apparently is only for the v8 but its identical except the stupid water outlet that my truck doesn't need. So I put the gasket on with some number two gasket sealer leg it sit for 15 mins and badda boom no more leaks. Moral of the story cheap aluminum parts that cost more suck. And it wasn't just one bad one I had 2 in a row and same exact issue

I was just going to suggest ditching the RTV/gasket combo and try the old school Permatex No. 2 with the gasket. Many people don't recommend RTV with gaskets (ya, I know a lot of you guys still do it).

How do you know its not the change to No. 2 that did the trick?

I don't think it was permatex. I tried it with the other housing and it leaked until the engine got good and warm. New gasket and no leaks at all ever. I am pretty sure it was a versa chem product worked good though.

Well guess why it leaked all along. [censored] parts. I took back the cheap aluminum one got a cast iron one
That apparently is only for the v8 but its identical except the stupid water outlet that my truck doesn't need. So I put the gasket on with some number two gasket sealer leg it sit for 15 mins and badda boom no more leaks. Moral of the story cheap aluminum parts that cost more suck. And it wasn't just one bad one I had 2 in a row and same exact issue

I bet it was warped. It is common. I have had two BBC, Two SBC and one 4.3. They all did it with the aluminum ones.

Well the 305 housing was cast iron and worked great the hose diameter is a little bigger on a 305 so I had to man handle my hose a little. But no leaks . My question is why make them out of aluminum if it doesn't work.

Well the 305 housing was cast iron and worked great the hose diameter is a little bigger on a 305 so I had to man handle my hose a little. But no leaks . My question is why make them out of aluminum if it doesn't work.

Not sure why they make it from aluminum. Easier Cheaper? The aluminum dissipates heat faster than the cast iron intake so that causes warping, but like I said the poor quality ones will come like that or do it after a few heat cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back