Trans/Diff Oil for 2012 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. First time poster (been reading posts here for a few weeks now though).

I tried searching but didn't come up with a lot on 5th gen Camaros, other than it's a good idea to change Rear Differential Oil and Trany Oil when doing your first oil change (around the 1500 mile marker), to flush out the [censored].

My Camaro should be here this week (manual transmission), but I wanted to do my research up front. I plan on using M1 for the engine oil, but wasn't sure about the rear dif and trans oils. Should I use the same (brand) oil on both (from the user manual I've seen on a 2011, it appears both take 75w90)? If so, which brand would be suggested? If not... see previous question, hehe? I've read, especially in the transmission, the brand can make a difference in the feel of shifting, so wanted to get something that will be smooth.

Thanks for any insights you can provide!
~Will

Not sure about the trans, but the diff if run Mobil 1 or amsoil severe gear lube. Id also look into the Amsoil MT fluids, because I've found them to perform more consistently and longer than redline.

Is this a V-6 with the Aisin 6 speed, or an LS3 SS with a Tremec 6060 gearbox??

If the latter, it does NOT use gear oil at all, but either a Dexron 3 type ATF (usually specced in the manual), or a thin manual transmission fluid (your choice, mineral based or synthetic based).

Not sure about the Aisin, but I highly doubt it takes a thick gear oil either.

It is the V8- LS3 with Tremec gearbox. I was pretty sure I saw in the manual for the 2011 that it takes a thick gear oil. But I was going to thoroughly read the manual for mine when I got it, before I purchased anything.

Since you're pretty sure it does take Dextron 3 ATF, would anyone have any opinions on brands, something that is fairly smooth shifting? Or does it not really matter, and just pick any well known, high quality name?

Thanks!

If you are concerned about GM honoring the warranty, I would read the manual VERY carefully and see if they still require/specify a mineral-based ATF, vs. allowing you to use Mobil 1 ATF (or Amsoil ATF, Red Line D4, etc.).

Back in the 4th gen f body T56 days, Tremec seemed to be sticklers for insisting on a mineral based ATF.
But when you pressed the techs, they admitted that was ONLY because that is all they tested that gearbox with, and finally said that you would be alright to go with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Also, the 6060 has upgraded/stronger blocker ring materials (over the original T56es, like in my car), and maybe even better/more resistant seals, so it may be able to take synthetics right from the get go.
The factory fill may even be synthetic.
wink.gif

Thanks wkcars. I must've been looking at the V6 when I was looking at what fluid to get...

Automatic Transmission- DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Manual Transmission (V6 Engine)- SAE 75W-90 GL5 Gear Oil (GM Part No. 88862475, in Canada 88862476).
Manual Transmission (V8 Engine)- Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 88861800, in Canada 88861801).

Also, a note: on the GM website it says it takes 8.9 qt of engine oil, but the manual says 8.0 qt. Should I put in 8.0 qt when it's time, then go off what the dipstick says. Or shoot for 8.9 off the bat?

Thanks!
~Will

It may be just me but unless there's a big cost difference or if a aftermarket fluid is clearly better, I would get the GM fluids from a dealership. I think the manual says the rear axle takes Rear Differential Fluid 75W-90 Limited Slip (GM Part No. 89021677 and Friction Modifier 1052358). And I would follow the manual and check the levels, the website might state the amount it holds or it can be wrong, but when you drain you won't be able to get everything out, so I think the manual is accounting for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back