best time for annual oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the potential for condensation build-up in the winter, which, ostensibly burns off/stays out better in summer, I have always done an annual change in the spring....

I do my semiannual oil change on the truck in May & November. No particular reason, other than it avoids the weather extremes (i.e., is more comfortable). Can't get away with semiannual on the SAAB, given its reputation as a sludge monster. Works out to four times a year, whenever it needs it at 5K w/ M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
spring and dino will go easily 1 year 9000 miles if the engine runs good
i change all my cars at 1 year now since the price of oil has gone way up
i sent samples out and all was great!
9000 miles on DINO ? your kidding right. i go 5000 on dino & 7500 on synthetic.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
spring and dino will go easily 1 year 9000 miles if the engine runs good
i change all my cars at 1 year now since the price of oil has gone way up
i sent samples out and all was great!
9000 miles on DINO ? your kidding right. i go 5000 on dino & 7500 on synthetic.

He may be saving money in the short run, but he will be throwing it away in a few years trying to remove the deposits and sludge is he going to get running a dino that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do bi-annual (every 2 year) changes with my oil, since I drive about 3.5k in that span. It's M1 but anyway, last UOA looked pretty darn good. With modern oils I think it's going to make zero difference, and with a good synthetic (which PP is) you can probably stretch it out to 1.5 - 2 years.

Get a UOA, check the TBN, see where you're at.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
If you plan on doing a once a year change, i'd say right after winter would be the best time.

Best to get all the moisture and fuel contamination that usually accomplnies the colder weather, out of the engine. Winter is the hardest season on the oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No, some are saying spring, some are saying fall

It's kind of like the chicken / egg paradox. I would change it in the Spring to remove contaminants from Condensation / cold start blow by etc. from the winter. There is also an argument for the Fall change, to have fresh oil to fight the harsh Winter. The thinking would be that in the Spring and Summer, the oil would burn off those contaminants.

I can't figure which sounds best to me.

That is why I change mine once in the Spring (Motorcraft syn blend) and once in the Fall (Kendall full syn). If I put on additional miles in the summer because of vacations requiring a cartop carrier, I do a 3,000 mi OCI with Motorcract Syn blend as soon as I get back from the trip.

Good luck in whichever you choose.

I change in the spring.

1. It's something to do outside after hiding from the cold.
2. By the time winter rolls around, the oil's a bit thinner. That's good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back