"Is the 3,000 oil change obsolete?" - MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though this is probably the appropriate forum section, I wouldn't necessarily call it an "Interesting Article".

If I were the "average" consumer reading this, I would trust a mechanic about oil changes over an owner's manual. I wonder if the author works for a quick lube company?
twak.gif

MSN article

I think the 3000 mile OCI would be normal for older cars. With todays cleaner running cars and high quality oils i am sure that you could stetch the OCI far longer than 3000 miles.

How many new cars still list 7500mi 'normal' service OCI? That was the figure listed in my 1991 Honda Prelude manual (3750 severe, 7500 normal)! Our new Accord actually says to go by 5000mi for 'severe', 10000mi for 'normal'. The sales rep actually told us to not worry about the extended intervals, they actually WANT us to run it to 5000mi .

at $30-40k for a new car, I'm of the opinion that while 3k may be a bit excessive, 10k is just silly when it only costs $25 or less.

It's cheap insurance unless you are playing some sort of "I can go longer than you can" game....
itschy.gif

Excess motor oil changes represent an absolutely huge waste of resources and are detrimental to the wealth of an individual.

Changing every 5k at $25 versus changing every 10k at $25, over a period of 15 years, 300k miles, at a discount rate of 10% and inflation of 3% results in a net present value of $1370, or a net future value of $2135.

$1370 present dollars is a nice chunk of change towards other maintenance on a car that would make a more meaningful effect on the car's overall economic operating life. For the average motorist, changing transmission fluid more regularly comes to mind.

To those who say, 'cheap insurance', try collecting on your 'insurance' policy when your vehicle is totalled or when everything else but the oiled parts in the engine are worn out .
smile.gif

Leave the writing of insurance policies to the trained actuaries, and the motor oil changing recommendations to the engineers who actually design the engines. Each are masters of their own domains.

[ March 04, 2005, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: pitzel ]

The 3000 mile oil change has been obsolete since Amsoil and Mobil 1 came on the market in the mid 1970's.

Only true Luddites are still using 3000 mile oil changes and they're probably living in caves and hunting with sharp sticks ...
wink.gif

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The 3000 mile oil change has been obsolete since Amsoil and Mobil 1 came on the market in the mid 1970's.

Only true Luddites are still using 3000 mile oil changes and they're probably living in caves and hunting with sharp sticks ...
wink.gif

TS

Or perhaps wanting to protect their new car warranty.

About 15 years ago. I was running short trips, low mileage, and 6 month intervals with SG-SF QS dino, and ended up with a sludge problem. Since then, it has been 3 months with Pennzoil. No warranties to worry about now. Even with 6 qt sumps and rip off filter element pricing, I can still do both my car and truck for less than $25 total. That even allows for a tube of grease or 2 a year. Where's my stick?

labman

quote:

About 15 years ago. I was running short trips, low mileage, and 6 month intervals with SG-SF QS dino, and ended up with a sludge problem. Since then, it has been 3 months with Pennzoil. No warranties to worry about now.

Dino oil is far better today then it was 15 years ago.

If used properly, synthetic oil application has many positive results over dino oil and cost savings as well.

quote:

Ironduke4:
I think the 3000 mile OCI would be normal for older cars. With todays cleaner running cars and high quality oils i am sure that you could stetch the OCI far longer than 3000 miles.

With the exception of the driven little, parked a lot automobile.

Those ought to get their oil changed once a year without regard to mileage.

Labman,

I've been changing oil once a year since 1978, under all different sorts of operating conditions with excellent results. In some cases, I even ran the same batch of PAO/Ester synthetic for two full years and it tested out fine. I have posted several of these analysis results on this forum.

You probably left the stick back in the cave when you ventured out to chisel on those stone tablets ...
wink.gif

Any good PAO/Ester synthetic will last at least 2-3 times longer than a petroleum lube under the same conditions. This includes Mobil 1,Castrol 0w-30, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Synergyn etc.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

How many new cars actually specify 3k mile oil changes these days as a prerequisite for warranty service?

Names?

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

How many new cars actually specify 3k mile oil changes these days as a prerequisite for warranty service?

Names?

My 02 Cavalier

Several of my friends have had oil pans rust out from the inside.this concerns me because my PSD requires a engine pull to replace the pan,we live with one of the oldest refiners in canada(sarnia) and have as a result the highest level of sulfer in our fuels,would sulfuric acids in the oil cause this and do extended drain intervals contribute?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

wink.gif

TS

Well there are a ton of em at my work and that I meet everyday, but I don't disagree, I think they all live in caves too.

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:
Several of my friends have had oil pans rust out from the inside.this concerns me because my PSD requires a engine pull to replace the pan,we live with one of the oldest refiners in canada(sarnia) and have as a result the highest level of sulfer in our fuels,would sulfuric acids in the oil cause this and do extended drain intervals contribute?

And to top it off Ferd used the cheapest- cr**iest, pot metal oil pans they could find on these trucks. Watch that pan! several have shown rust on the outside. With that high sulfer, I would think look in Stinkys post for the oil with the most of all the additives you can find, highest Ca, highest TBN, maybe add some of that synpower oil treat to it, ad get it nice and hot regularly, then don't worry about doing anything less than 5 or 6000 miles between oil changes. PS. hint on te oil to use, Rotella T ain't it. Maybe if you can get it, run some Mystik JT-8 in there too.

Edit: sorry I guess the pan came from IH. but they are known to have issues.

You are right on both counts,my friends cars are Tarus and a windstar(could be the same engine) but mine is a international but I suspect the pan is ford or ford spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back