Rebuilt C6 trans- Type F or Dex ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking around I see that early C6 transmissions used type F as expected, but later ones starting in 77 or 78 went to Dex II fluid. So here is my question. If you have a fresh C6 with new clutches, can you use Dex fluid in all of em?

Well my thinking is with new clutches and a shift kit I should use Dex/Merc. I am assuming the change in specification was due to the evolution of better friction materials for auto transmissions used by Ford in the late 70's that allowed a friction modified ATF to be used while still getting a good healthy shift. But thats my guess and that is why I asked. I could always try Type F and if it shifts too hard try Dex/Merc, but thats a waste of time and money.

I shot an email off to the manufacturer....how much to you want to bet they try to peddle me some of their boutique ATF they stock and sell?

Here comes the monkeywrench: my 1977 Cougar called for both. If it had a C4 or C6, it called for Dexron. However, the FMX (which mine had) called for Type F.

I would call the guy that built it & ask him. Get it in writing if possible!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
So looking around I see that early C6 transmissions used type F as expected, but later ones starting in 77 or 78 went to Dex II fluid. So here is my question. If you have a fresh C6 with new clutches, can you use Dex fluid in all of em?

Can you please tell me what "Dexron-II" fluid is these days!

Dexron III...it's all backwards-compatible.

(Freightliner actually spec'd D-II for power steering as late as 1998!)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Perhaps I need to explain that there are neither any licensed and approved DEXRON (R)-II or DEXRON (R)-III fluids in the market any longer. It's DEXRON (R)-VI which is back-serviceable to those applications.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Perhaps I need to explain that there are neither any licensed and approved DEXRON (R)-II or DEXRON (R)-III fluids in the market any longer. It's DEXRON (R)-VI which is back-serviceable to those applications.

Isn't Dex VI much thinner than Dexron III and it's equivalent Mercon? And it was not always recommended as a replacement to those fluids in all uses.

Whimsey

So, the Maxlife Dex/Merc isn't Dex III? I thought it was...I've got a couple gallons in the garage waiting for the next flush on the 4 Runner...now, I'll have to take a look...

Just heard back from the gents that rebuilt the transmission. The folks at TCI said you can use either Dex/Merc or Type F. But type F will shift harder.

So all things being equaled it all depends on how you like the feel of the trans with one fluid versus the other.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

So, the Maxlife Dex/Merc isn't Dex III? I thought it was...I've got a couple gallons in the garage waiting for the next flush on the 4 Runner...now, I'll have to take a look...

Maxlife is Dex III. Dexron III is still made and sold everywhere. It’s just not officially licensed and approved by GM anymore.

Quote:
Just heard back from the gents that rebuilt the transmission. The folks at TCI said you can use either Dex/Merc or Type F. But type F will shift harder.

They are correct.

Most racing transmission use a type F for firm, positive shifts and for low slippage.

I would run DexIII/Merc equivalents in it for at least the run-in period.

Then you could do a pan drain and refill with type F for firmer shifts, then go from there.

Go with type f its way better fluid in my opinion. dexron is friction modifiyed type f is not. get way better shifts with type f compared to dexron

It depends on the friction materials used in the build.

For decades type F has always been used for super hard shifts. But I'd be willing to bet your builder will recommend Dex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back