Oil for carbed Mercury 200hp outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have any opinions or experience with either Mercury Quicksilver Premium Plus vs BRP Evinrude xd50? They are both synthetic blends.

I'm looking for better than average oil for my pair of Mercury 200's, and can find the xd50 for about $10-$20 less per gallon.

I don't have experience with those, but do with (much better than average) Amsoil's 4-stroke Outboard. My 140HP sings with it in going on 9 years with it. Whether you go Amsoil or not, at least go full Syn.

For Mercury Motors (Including my Mercruiser IO), In my experience, people that use the original Mercury or aftermarket (By Mercury) Quicksilver, seem too have less engine issues. For the Mercruisers, Mercury backspec'd their new Mercury / Quicksilver 25-40 Semi Syn for all their Inboard / IO engines. I would figure that since they now make the Semi Syn for outboards they would do the same for them (Spec the new outboard semi syn). I have heard rumors of a new full syn Mercury / Quicksilver oil in the works. According to a Mercury salesman at a show, Mercury always Spec'd use of any oil of the proper weight. with the multitude of different additive packs and VII's in different oils, more engine failures came up with some of them. He said this forced Mercury to develop a specific oil / add pack to work optimally with their motors. Please keep in mind, that is what the salesman said. He further said, the last thing they wanted to do was to get involved with oil.

As for the previous gentleman, I have to think that Amsoil would NOT be one of the oils to cause problems. I wouldn't foresee any problems with it. I've never heard anything except good things about Amsoil.

If the engines are under warranty I would check the fine print for any oil requirements.
Good luck and happy boating!

Last edited:
The OP is asking about TWO STROKE oils gentlemen. I would not hesitate for a moment to use the XD50 if it is a better buy. Both meet or exceed TCW3 and fulfill warranty requirements, impossible to go wrong.

Thanks guys for your help! The outboards are 1994 carb motors so not worried about warranties, just a typical guy who over obsesses about simple things like engine oil.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
The OP is asking about TWO STROKE oils gentlemen. I would not hesitate for a moment to use the XD50 if it is a better buy. Both meet or exceed TCW3 and fulfill warranty requirements, impossible to go wrong.

I didn't see 2 stroke anywhere... My bad I guess.

Last edited:
I used Penzoil Premium for years, with great results. However, that was partially due to the fact that it used to be cheap, at $9.99 per gallon.

Today, it's around $20 per gallon.

I didn't figure carbed 200 Mercs were still in warranty. The point was that either manufacturer's oil good enough to meet/exceed warranty requirements without question will work well so purchase by price. Nice engines, keep 'em going.

Mercury still sells Carbed engines. I just bought a new carb for mine last year and the dealer showed me the came carb on a 2010 engine. The only difference was is that mine has an accelerator pump / electric choke and the new one has a fuel injector for cold start ups. I am talking about I/O's though. Probably Apples and Oranges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnachak
Mercury still sells Carbed engines. I just bought a new carb for mine last year and the dealer showed me the came carb on a 2010 engine. The only difference was is that mine has an accelerator pump / electric choke and the new one has a fuel injector for cold start ups. I am talking about I/O's though. Probably Apples and Oranges.

Mercury Premium Plus is excellent oil. Phillips Injex is very good as well. I've used both. I do however suggest that you pick one and stick with it. If you are particular, you may notice that the engine might run different when you change from one oil to another. It is most noticeable at idle.It truly does make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back