Magnefine in supply/return

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one has a normal functioning vehicle with many miles what is the rationale to install the Magnefine in the return? The vehicle has been running over 150K with nothing in the supply or return, so anything in the cooler just goes back into the transmission pan. It cannot be heat as they say to install it in the supply line in a new vehicle.

In my vehicle its a better fit (physically) in the supply line.

I am assuming the supply goes to the top of the cooler? (Hotter).

Unless the vehicle has had a transmission failure i think it doesn't make any difference.
If the transmission failed previously there may be some debris lurking in the cooler somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Unless the vehicle has had a transmission failure i think it doesn't make any difference.
If the transmission failed previously there may be some debris lurking in the cooler somewhere.

That is what I was thinking.

Magnefine answered an email.
+++++start of response+++++
The reasoning behind placing the filter on the return line is to catch any debris that might have accumulated in the cooler. If it’s a new cooler or new vehicle then it is recommended to be installed on the supply side to prevent any accumulation.

If you have had no trouble with the cooler or transmission then it is entirely up to you where you put it.
+++++end of response+++++

Last edited:
I have read that the transmission cooler is a known place for dirt/grit/whatever to get hung up.
This is why they recommend installing the filter in the line that goes INTO the transmission....so that any dirt that comes free will be caught by the Magnefine filter.
If the transmission has failed and been repaired/replaced....then it is best to put the filter in the return line....as there is VERY likely to be junk lodged in the cooler......it is also HIGHTLY advised to verify that the cooler is not restricted by junk.....as this could reduce the flow of fluid to the point that your repaired/new transmission will fail due to overheating.

Of course.....the specific installation will determine the best location.
If you have not had a transmission failure in the past.....and it is much more difficult to install in the line with fluid flow INTO the transmission than the line with fluid flow OUT of the transmission, then put the filter in the one with the fluid flowing OUT.

Take care to avoid directing the lines against anything sharp or hot.....or having them (or the filter) hanging down where they can be caught on something.

If you don't know which line is which.....you are going to need to figure it out because the Magnefine filter MUST be installed with the big red arrow on the side pointing in the direction of fluid flow through the filter.

I am going to cut the line where I plan to install it and place an empty water bottle onto each end and run the engine for a few seconds. That should tell the story.

My choice is in the line to the cooler. Thinner/hotter oil filters better. Except after a transmission failure that loads the system with debris and some is trapped in the cooler--then put the filter after the cooler.

My choice is the return line as the filter will not be subject to high temperatures. Dirt is the same size, hot or cold. The pressure drop introduced by the filter needs to be within an acceptable range even when the oil is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back