can't get tire off car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loosen the lug nuts, drive very slowly ahead, hit the brakes. If it is still tight, drive very slowly back, hit the brakes. If it is still tight, do it again just slightly faster.

No job too small; no hammer too big....motto of Brute Force & Ignorance Car Repair

This was common on older Panthers with aluminum wheels...I usually hooked a crowbar against the LCA or spindle and gave it a hard yank. If that didn't work, a couple thumps against the tire with a weighted mallet usually did.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Loosen the lug nuts, drive very slowly ahead, hit the brakes. If it is still tight, drive very slowly back, hit the brakes. If it is still tight, do it again just slightly faster.

No job too small; no hammer too big....motto of Brute Force & Ignorance Car Repair

Hey, if you think using a hammer the size of a full size Ford station wagon is appropriate to loosen a wheel that's a little stuck, that's cool. I have found 3 to 10 pounds is usually a big enough hammer most of the time.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Hit the tire hard with a sledge . [hit from the inside to the outside]

Note that I said TIRE, not WHEEL.
[And use the flat side of the sledge head].

the hammer inside-outside hit worked!!! wheel cam right off after 2nd blow. no damage.

I appreciate all the help I recieved here. THANKS EVERYONE

Try a wheel puller. I hope you haven't ruined your wheel bearings with the prying and pounding. If you have 6 or 9 spokes, the biggest or second-biggest should be good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-three-jaw-puller-set-40965.html
image_18133.jpg

There's no need for a puller. He's got the wheel off. I believe the hammering he did wouldn't be against the wheel bearing so much as the differential carrier bearing. That's a mighty big bearing and with the mass of brake parts, axle shaft, and diff all taking up some of the impact it shouldn't be a concern.

My memory must be broken. I was thinking this was a rear wheel.

Last edited:
When my alloys get stuck to the rear drums, I use my breaker bar that I used to take the wheel off to wedge in between the spokes and the drum. Break it loose, spin the wheel to the next spoke, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back