E85 price and availability in the U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

zpa

Here in Finland E85 came to the market in '09. Now there are some 40 stations that offer it. The flexifuel fleet is steadily growing, mainly hindered by the fact that E85 stations are few and far between. E85 costs now 0.998e/L = 5.02USD/gal. Regular gasoline E10 (95RON) costs 1.71e/L = 8.61USD/gal. The difference in price far outweighs the difference in fuel economy between the two. As of now, E85 is the cheapest fuel you can buy here, easily beating diesel. As a plus, the ethanol in the E85 sold here is made from municipal waste, which is a good thing. I'd be interested to hear how E85 is doing in the States nowadays?

Price differential in the Minneapolis market is usually around 40 cents cheaper a gallon for E85. At the present gasoline price of 3.65 a gallon, that's about 10-11% cheaper a gallon, but you lose about 20+% of your fuel mileage, so its still a net loss.

E-85 is pretty readily availible here - 372 stations in the state at last count carry it.

E85 really isn't catching on at least here in California where I am. Its been running near $4.00 a gallon if not a tad more and most guys that have performance cars use it because of the Higher Octane Value vs. Pump 91 which is the highest we can get here in California.

I used E85 in a Tuned Evo 9 for a while and switched back to 91 pump gas due to a few factors.

1) even though E85 is a "green" fuel the car drank it like an alcoholic at a football game. We are talking about 14 miles per gallon on the Evo or less depending on driving conditions, vs. 19mpg on 91 pump on average. So in the long run the cost savings per gallon, really isn't a cost savings. How green are you if your burning more fuel anyway?

2) Availability, at times I would have to drive 50 miles out of my way just to fill up and forget about taking the car on a road trip since the cruisiing range was so short (evo's suck stock for range anyway but worse with E85) and even though the performance gain was substantial, its not really noticiable unless your really on it and how often are you really "on it" in the street anyway??

So if you happen to have a flex fuel type car and the E85 is substantially cheaper, I am talking like $1.00+ cheaper per gallon, it MIGHT behoove you to use it. Honestly though, the greeen aspect just isn't there, the MPG's arent really there, and here where I am, the cost savings wasn't really there.

Jeff

Last edited:
Here in Pittsburgh, Pa...E85-$3.59 Regular-$3.99. Only one station in the area that im aware of that has E-85. That station is a Sheets on Route 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back