Audi MQ200 manual gearbox oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The specified oil up to 1991 was SAE 75w-90 (Mil-L-2105 or GL4), with Audi number G50 (part number G 005 000), which was a synthetic fluid. From 1992 to 2004, Audi part number G 052 911 A1 (or A2 depending upon bottle size) is specified. Certain years of the quattros asked for a specific gear additive, which is apparently no longer available.

What year and model in specific are you asking about?

The later fluid Garak refers to is actually Castrol TAF-X. Not sold in the USA unfortunately, unless you go to the dealer. It's a GL-4 75w90 with a fairly high VI of 210, if I recall correctly.

Thanks, I never remember the trade names. I just happen to have service manuals, and they just refer to part numbers. Richard would probably have better luck getting the stuff than most of us would, aside from the dealer, anyhow.

I miss many things about my Audi, but I don't miss $30 per litre PS fluid or struggling to find ATF (or MTF in Richard's case).

Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks, I never remember the trade names. I just happen to have service manuals, and they just refer to part numbers. Richard would probably have better luck getting the stuff than most of us would, aside from the dealer, anyhow.

I miss many things about my Audi, but I don't miss $30 per litre PS fluid or struggling to find ATF (or MTF in Richard's case).

The OEM VAG fluid is Pentosin CHF 11 S. There's several good alternatives that meet the spec...

Yep, was able to get Pentosin up here no problem. The dealer's price was comparable to a parts shop where I got the Pentosin stuff. Another European independent had something else, too, maybe the Febi-Bilstein version, but I don't recall for sure.

Richard, if you have no luck with our suggestions, let me know. There are a couple decent independent shops here and I can find out what they use and/or suggest.

Every day I get a half dozen emails from somewhere in the world asking for advice of some sort or another. With this I'm trying to help a guy in Argentina who is having trouble with that transmission in his VW Fox 1.6. I found a nice manual for that transmission, showing everything about how it works, but neglects to talk about the oil it needs.

He says he can't get fluid for it, and has lots of opinions on what it takes (knowing the typical mechanics, most probably recommend GL-5 80W-90).

The Pentosin CHF 11 S appears to be a very thin hydraulic or ATF with an extremely high VI. Nothing like that around here or there.

If we/he knew what it takes in Mobil or Castrol, maybe he could find it.

BTW, dealers around here and there know less than anyone when it comes to lubrication.

What year is it, Richard? That might help me narrow it down. My documents indicate it depends upon the year.

I checked the Imperial Oil site, and none of the Mobil lubes (available up here at least) meet any of those specs. The closest I found was Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75w-90, which is GL-5 (not recommended for GL-4 applications) and MIL-PRF-2105E.

The Fuchs site recommends that for part G 052 911 A1 one use Titan Sintofluid 75w-80, which is a GL-5. For the older GL-4, (Audi/VW older G 52 sries, G 55, G 60, and G 70), they recommend Titan Sintofluid SE 75w.

It really all depends upon the year. The Fox has been marketed in so many different series at different times in different places. I'm guessing that it's the newer one, such as the 2003 and newer South American variant, given the MQ200 in it.

If that's the case, it seems it would take the Castrol TAF-X that dparm suggested, or the Sintofluid 75w-80. The TAF-X looks to be the best option if you have no further details.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014108&contentId=7027100

http://www.uleiauto.ro/phpeuri/oiluri/castrol/TAF-X.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back