Parallel runway takeoff, I raced a Citation Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at Peachtree Dekalb PDK airport in Atlanta GA, runway 2L and 2R are parallel. A CJ1 and I (in my lowly Cessna Cardinal 177RG) taxied into position at the same time on the parallel runways. The CJ1 got T/O clearance first, then me. However, he waited until I got the clearance before he started rolling.

It was quite interesting to me that we were exactly the same speed. Our rates of acceleration couldn't have been better matched. I waited a bit to rotate, kept my climbout shallow and he remained on the roll for a good while longer. While I was airborne, our speeds were still matched. It actually was not until the point where I would normally turn crosswind that he actually was faster.

Yeah, I was light and I'm sure he was heavy. Still, I was surprised by the good match of acceleration rates.

I'm surprised too.
The CJ1 is not much as jets go, but I would still have expected it to smoke a Cardinal, which isn't exactly over-powered either.
Next time, race a swept wing Citation.

I used my iPhone app "pocket dyno" to do a quarter mile run on takeoff of our company G550 Gulfstream. It was 11.69 seconds at 144mph (by memory) but the reaction time was 7 seconds!!

Quote:
Yeah, I was light and I'm sure he was heavy. Still, I was surprised by the good match of acceleration rates.

I bet my G280 could smoke him.
shocked.gif

Well, not mine but our customers.
lol.gif

Way to go lill Cardinal.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back