Looks like we'll have to throw the term "Dino Oil" out the window...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a VERY interesting theory. IF it's true (I shall remain skeptical for the time being), it would certainly turn environmental science on its ear.

Interesting article. But the source seems like a political website. Wish it came from a more credible source, if there are any these days.
rolleyes.gif

-T

man this is the kind of thing that annoys me. how am i suppose to know what is true and what is false? without actually going out and digging i doubt i will ever know for sure so i have to rely on what other people say, which just sucks.

I've never held much stock in the "crude=decayed organic matter" theory. This article seems entirely cogent to me.

Back in college in the '80's I was taught that it was impossible for all the oil to have been laid down as "fossil fuel". So the idea has been around probably longer than that. But it can't leave the realm of theory until proven.

I got plenty of methane. Need to strip some of the S compounds out, though.

Seriously I had heard such theories and to be honest I couldn't quite come to grips with the volume of oil remaining + all the oil we've used + all the oil wasted over the years = plant material piled underground from some millions of years...

I just never had seen the linkage to actual wells...COOL!

This piece details activities at Eugene Island. I have to admit, I didn't read the whole thing. However, I did see mention of "vertical migration" and "gas injection" which would explain changes in production volume. Also, it sounds like they're using new high techniques to find more oil there.

I found this summary on Thomas Gould at Cornell. It's just a summary of his book, and I'm not going to buy a copy, but doesn't it sound like this completely contradicts what the WorldNetDaily article is saying??

Google before you trust....especially in an election year. :)

[ June 03, 2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: mountainhouse ]

Interesting read. I too believe that there has to more than the dinosaur theory. I mean, as much as we've been pumping the past 100 years, there has got to be another explaination.

Well it doesn't have to be dinosaurs, any organic life will do. One question I have, the article says that the oil is created from methane gas, which he says occurs naturally. I thought Methane was considered an organically produced substance. When looking for life on other planets for instance, they look for methane in the atmosphere. Where did all the methane come from?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by mountainhouse:
I found this summary on Thomas Gould at Cornell. It's just a summary of his book, and I'm not going to buy a copy, but doesn't it sound like this completely contradicts what the WorldNetDaily article is saying??

I think you need to look at the Gould page a little more closely. He is the author of this paper which seems to be the basis of the WorldNetDaily article.

quote:

I thought Methane was considered an organically produced substance. When looking for life on other planets for instance, they look for methane in the atmosphere. Where did all the methane come from?

Methane is a Hydro-carbon. Get hydrogen and CO (carbon-mix) together in the correct ratio and wolla!.

http://www.chem.orst.edu/ch331-7t/ch334/MOTD928.htm

I believe this is the Gold paper:

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/tg21/usgs.html

http://www.bartleby.com/65/me/methane.html

[ June 03, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

One of the things that bothered me about the dino theory, is how did all those animals get 6000+ feet below the surface of the earth? Take the Gulf of Mexico for instance. If the dry surface of the earth was over 6000 feet below current sea level, where did all the water go? Polar ice cap? Must have been one heck of an ice cap.

How many dinos does it take to get an oil formation that produces 14,000 barrels a day for years? Must have been one gigantic pile of dead dinos. Just for one well.

After all of Wulimaster's links to the Peak Oil issue, I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Thomas Gold. I knew about him and his theories but did not choose to comment over the last few months.

Please note that Dr. Gold is no crank, and he was involved with the scientific efforts of the Apollo missions to the moon, among other important scientific endeavors. He is respected in his field. Several years ago I heard about his theory that natural gas or other hydrocarbon/"organic" fuels could occur in massive quantities deep underground, and test drilling in Sweden was starting to test his ideas. The last I had heard was that results from the Swedish operation were "promising" before a very tight lid got clamped on further news. Am glad to see some further info on him and his theories.

By the way, it's been an open secret for years that no serious scientists really believe that crude oil came from dead dinosaurs or even large amounts of organic matter. There has simply been too much oil in too many odd places, such as far under the ocean floor.

Ignoring the climate change issue for now;

All very interesting but does it matter if oil is dead dinos or pixie dust?

It is still a matter of who still has productive wells. The US wells have been in decline for 30 years. How long do we wait for the "recharge" 30 more years, 30 centuries ?

Why is it that out of the thousands of drilled, declining, and depleted wells around the world, the contrarian quotes the name of a single well in the Gulf to make his point.
What about the other ten thousand?
Yeah, he drilled solid granite and against prevailing theory he got oil; all 300 gallons of it.

Why is it that the oil-guy in the White House is suddenly scrambling to top-off the strategic reserve at $40/bbl ?
Hey, curious minds want to know !

[ June 11, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Mark in NY ]

From Science News-vol 127, page 180, March 23rd, 1985:

More Quick Oil Discovered

Following the discovery some three years ago that petroleum was forming rapidly in the present-day world along the East Pacific Rise, another team of scientists has discovered recently a similar accumulation of rapidly heated hydro-carbons in Western Antartic. It appears that hot lava is interacting with the organically rich waters in the area to cook the material and produce oil. This petroleum could have commercial value if there were enough of it. But discoverers so far believe there is very little oil in the area, perhaps because lava intrudes only over very small regions at any one time. All this adds to the evidence that vast periods of time are not needed to produce geological deposits such as oil and coal.

As long as we are on the subject of petroleum formation, here is a link to an article giving an alternative view on petroleum formation:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-155.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back