2013 RAM Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I can not wait until the CAFE comments are posted on this.

17/24 for a stylish commuter vehicle? Not bad considering the size, not good considering most folks' financial condition.

How is that???

wink.gif

Neat stuff, though I would be happy with a 1998 ram CTD... if I could still buy one new.

Whats old is new again.....My 1962 Peterbilt has automatically adjusting shutters on the grill. They work on a thermostat in the lower radiator tank. When the engine is cool they close to block the air and when it hits 180F they open wide up.

Same type of truck used in the Movie "Duel". That trucks shutters were open and closed depending on engine temp. In one scene they are open then 2 seconds later they are closed.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whats old is new again.....My 1962 Peterbilt has automatically adjusting shutters on the grill. They work on a thermostat in the lower radiator tank. When the engine is cool they close to block the air and when it hits 180F they open wide up.

Same type of truck used in the Movie "Duel". That trucks shutters were open and closed depending on engine temp. In one scene they are open then 2 seconds later they are closed.

Chris I have been reading your post for 7 years. But I missed the part were you said the you have a "62" Peterbilt. I knew you had a Peterbilt but I did not know you have something as cool as a 62. That is awesome!

Impressive tweaks for the Ram. Interesting that in this form, the Pentastar V-6 puts out 305HP. Shows how under-rated it is in other applications.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Impressive tweaks for the Ram. Interesting that in this form, the Pentastar V-6 puts out 305HP. Shows how under-rated it is in other applications.....

This gets me thinking. What other power train tweaks can we expect, I bet we will get surprised about something.

Yeah saw it at the car show. The air suspension is a good idea, but its the Mercedes airmatic system...so I guarantee that one morning your going to come out to the thing, probably right outside of warranty and find it low ridding. Its always $1k to fix at that point.

The shift knob on the dash is just awkward. They should have put it in the center console like Jag did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can not wait until the CAFE comments are posted on this.

17/24 for a stylish commuter vehicle? Not bad considering the size, not good considering most folks' financial condition.

How is that???

wink.gif

Neat stuff, though I would be happy with a 1998 ram CTD... if I could still buy one new.

I'd rather have a 1993 Ram W250 CTD. Intercooled Cummins, 5-speed manual, extended cab/longbed. Make mine a rubber-mat, crank-window truck with the only options A/C, tilt, cruise, and step bumper.

This gets me thinking. What other power train tweaks can we expect, I bet we will get surprised about something.

Chrysler has both single and twin turbo versions of the Pentastar in development. Massively important motor for them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Chrysler has both single and twin turbo versions of the Pentastar in development. Massively important motor for them.

It's probably no exaggeration to say that the pentastar is one of the most important engines chrysler has ever made. Now what I want to see is updated, more modern V8s (similar to the Ford Coyote) and better 4 cylinders (Fiat seems to have that base covered pretty well)

Chrysler bet big on the Pentastar engine, which I'm very interested in. They're having problems with it, and have been replacing the left cylinder head as a result on a lot of the engines. I hope they get it ironed out before the 2013's roll off the line, I have my heart set on a 2013 Wrangler. 305hp would be sweet too vs, the current 285hp setup. So far no DI for them. Time will tell though.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

It's probably no exaggeration to say that the pentastar is one of the most important engines chrysler has ever made. Now what I want to see is updated, more modern V8s (similar to the Ford Coyote) and better 4 cylinders (Fiat seems to have that base covered pretty well)

IMO the Coyote and many other Ford offerings are needlessly complicated/expensive. Counterpoint: LS7. Amazingly compact and as powerful as anything out there no matter the design.

If Chrysler will adopt Multi-Air by Fiat the whole problem is solved!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Chrysler bet big on the Pentastar engine, which I'm very interested in. They're having problems with it, and have been replacing the left cylinder head as a result on a lot of the engines. I hope they get it ironed out before the 2013's roll off the line, I have my heart set on a 2013 Wrangler. 305hp would be sweet too vs, the current 285hp setup. So far no DI for them. Time will tell though.

They have stated that this engine family will eventually be DI, it's coming. The advantages are too big to ignore.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

They have stated that this engine family will eventually be DI, it's coming. The advantages are too big to ignore.

I hear ya. They have plans for it, and also mentioned holding off on it. I'm hoping they iron out the current issue first before they start messing with DI. I also hope I can grab one before DI, and the 8 speed tranny reach it. Opinions vary. After driving a 7 speed Dodge Caliber I think I'd rather have a 5 speed AT instead of a 7 or 8 speed. But that's coming too. JMO

You'll likely love the 8 speed ZF slushbox. A TON of mfgrs are using it now. It has excellent reliability even with huge engines and is remarkably transparent in all applications.

IMO the Coyote and many other Ford offerings are needlessly complicated/expensive. Counterpoint: LS7.

The dry sump, titanium rod, sodium filled valve, factory CNC'd head engine? The LS7 is no low budget engine.

Roger that! Tis a beaut, eh? But I am speaking more to DESIGN, not individual parts.

Makes more sense now, huh? Just by adding dry sump hardware these are amazingly small and lightweight packages that fit in very small/low hoodlines, Example: Corvette.

You can always make a case for complexity, but I'm a high-miler who wants my motors to run nearly forever. Not too many modern Hi-po engines seem to fit the bill.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0412_2013_ram_1500_first_look/index.html

So that all you Mopar Truck fans do not feel left out! There is some features like the "smart" grill shutters and the adjustable air suspension. I can not wait until the CAFE comments are posted on this. This ain't your grandfathers pick-up.

Ah, I see the shutters are built into the radiator. That's better than the grill... many older trucks around here look like they were driven into a few fence posts at some point...

I really like this truck! The interior is beautiful! Engine options are very respectable too. I would probably still go for the HEMI V8 just because it wouldn't have to be as hard worked to make it's rated HP.

Good job by the RAM boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back