POA vs GTL vs GROUP III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt PAO a GTL Oil process?
I have read on the net Group3,+ clean the engine better and PAOs protect the surfaces better thats why a blend is best.
I am no expert just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
POE Oils are used in aircraft engines and sealed compressor units.
I read a post here saying PAOs are better than POEs in Automobiles engines because they handle moisture, fuel dilution and compatibility better.
Its a comment from the Mobil website.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51547

Q: Red Line Oil claims to have 100 percent polyolester base stocks. Are these different or better than the base stocks used in Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?

A: We are very familiar with polyolesters. In fact, we manufacture them and use them in our aviation jet engine oils such as Mobil Jet Oil II® and Mobil Jet Oil 254® and in our refrigeration compressor lubricants, where the polyolesters are utilized for their compatibility with new HFC refrigerants. Polyolesters are indeed excellent at high-temperature oxidation stability and low volatility.

However, our work on automobile engines and jet engine designs has shown that polyalphaolefins (PAOs) offer the best all-around performance for gasoline engines due to their:

* Being completely compatible with conventional oils and gasoline engine seals.
* Providing both low- and high-temperature performance.
* Providing a stable oil in the presence of water and moisture.
* Having anti-rust capabilities.

Last edited:
Is a "long drain" what happens after a consuming a case followed by that too long drive home?
How would you have a choice in basestock as you dont know typ and are unable to assess the OEM basestock blend with any certainty?

Originally Posted By: Koz1

However, our work on automobile engines and jet engine designs has shown that polyalphaolefins (PAOs) offer the best all-around performance for gasoline engines due to their: ...

So that's why mobil switched to primary slack wax process group iii+ similar to shell xhvi?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

However, our work on automobile engines and jet engine designs has shown that polyalphaolefins (PAOs) offer the best all-around performance for gasoline engines due to their: ...

So that's why mobil switched to primary slack wax process group iii+ similar to shell xhvi?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

OTOH, we no longer use them exclusively due to cost, and the SOPUS Grp IIIs are not inferior in any way in actual use?

Is a "long drain" what happens after a consuming a case followed by that too long drive home?
How would you have a choice in basestock as you dont know typ and are unable to assess the OEM basestock blend with any certainty?

why would you chime in a question like that on a vs thread????????

so i take it you really dont have an opinion on GTL, GRP III, or PAO????

Originally Posted By: electrolover

No finished motor oil is pure whatever you want to have. They are all blends of different things.

Your question totally ignores additives which is what really separates the men from boys in motor oils.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

No finished motor oil is pure whatever you want to have. They are all blends of different things.

Your question totally ignores additives which is what really separates the men from boys in motor oils.

so pretty much you dont care about the base stocks as long as it has a good add pac??
if that was my opinion i would only use Chevron supreme dino. best add pac for the buck and a higher tbn than some syns............ but that would be a different thread all together

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

OTOH, we no longer use them exclusively due to cost, and the SOPUS Grp IIIs are not inferior in any way in actual use?

HAHAHA! Puts the whole lawsuit against Castrol in prospective does it not?

Also to the OP when it comes to PCMO'S the whole package is more valuable then the individual parts. Meaning it is far more important how a PCMO is formulated with basestocks, additives, viscosity improves, and additive carriers. Also each group of basestocks have different effects on different materials that make up your car engine. So in short there are many right and wrong answers to this question and it is up to you to get there. Also some folks will provide MSDS, VOA'S, UOA'S, and other factors to determine what will work for you, so just use the best judgement that will allow you to sleep well at night.

dave thats not really the point. im just wondering how a pao performs compared to a GTL.

the gtl thing is new to me....and apparently other people too

its cool, there is more than one way to skin a cat

so pretty much you dont care about the base stocks as long as it has a good add pac??
if that was my opinion i would only use Chevron supreme dino. best add pac for the buck and a higher tbn than some syns............ but that would be a different thread all together

The point is that the base oil is only one component of a finished product. It is entirely possible to formulate cruddy PAO (or whatever) oil.

The performance of the finished blend is what matters.

I suggest you do a search for TomNJ's posts and you will get what you are after.

Last edited:
Again there is more than one way to skin a cat. Are you talking about a VI and additive solubility GTL'S are inherently superior to most PAO'S more often than not but a PAO can be engineered to out preform it GTL basestocks if you are willing to spend the money and vice versa.

Right, the base oil constituents is really secondary to the performance of the final finished oil.
There is way too much of an obsession on the base oils used to make any oil on BITOG.
The way I see GTL base oils is that they will be primarily a low cost improvement to GP III oils, rival PAO in performance but will come in a very limited range of base oil viscosities from which a formulator will have to choose. So I don't think we're going to see many pure GTL finished oils, most I suspect will be GP III/GTL blends.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Right, the base oil constituents is really secondary to the performance of the final finished oil.
There is way too much of an obsession on the base oils used to make any oil on BITOG.
The way I see GTL base oils is that they will be primarily a low cost improvement to GP III oils, rival PAO in performance but will come in a very limited range of base oil viscosities from which a formulator will have to choose. So I don't think we're going to see many pure GTL finished oils, most I suspect will be GP III/GTL blends.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back