VW diesel - use an additive for fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 VW Beetle TDI (ALH engine) - 160,000 miles. I'm having the fuel injector replaced with a new one because this one started leaking like crazy. I've not been adding any additives to the fuel, should I be?

I am a firm believer that all diesel engines benefit from a diesel fuel additive.

I have several diesel engines and every gallon is additized with John Deere diesel fuel conditioner, blended for them by Stanadyne.

It increases the cetane number, improves lubricity, demulsifies water, and stabilizes fuel for storage. The winter formula also helps prevent gelling. There are several different manufacturers/blends available, the one mentioned above is the one I'm familiar with.

We've had diesel engines in operation for over 40 years, never once had an injector problem, end I can't even remember the last time I have had a Water In Fuel light on, if ever, But at least 95% of our fuel is coming from our own bulk tanks, so its somewhat of a controlled environment.

No harm can be done additizing fuel, just choose one of the major companies. The summer formula I use, one pint treats 208 gallons of fuel, and cost is around $7 per pint. Less than 4 cents per gallon.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
02 VW Beetle TDI (ALH engine) - 160,000 miles. I'm having the fuel injector replaced with a new one because this one started leaking like crazy. I've not been adding any additives to the fuel, should I be?
Being an '02, I'm guessing you don't have piezo injectors? (sorry, I'm a big three or old school injection guy). Either way, I'd use an additive. Myself, it's fleetguard or howe's in the winter for my cummins, redline in the summer, and either with a dose of diesel stabil for my genny. No problems yet, and I'd like to keep it that way. The EPA hasn't been doing any favors for diesel operators lately-the quality of fuel is actually declining thanks to onerous regs. A 2% or higher bio blend would negate the need for anything other than antigel.

I have an 03 TDI and I use 8oz of 2T oil for every fill ups. Engine is now at 260K with no problem whatsoever. I use no particular 2T oil, just whatever I have opened on the shelf at the moment.

160k miles isn't bad IMO. I'm on the fence with diesel additives. You basically have two groups (#1 continuous usage, #2 intermittent usage). Of the two groups you have product that does one or more of the following : Cetane increase, lubricity, and water. IMO none of them contain a special formula and all work to one degree or another.

On a side note, my BIL is a long haul trucker and he has had no injector or HPFP problems on his rig after 400k miles. He does not use additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back