Isopropyl alcohol is the best for window cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, no doubt about it. I've used a bunch of different glass cleaners over the years, but all of them always seem to leave streaks or smears on the glass if you don't wipe it off perfectly. Coincidentally, all of them were alcohol free.

Today, out of curiosity, I grabbed a bottle of 50% isopropyl alcohol from the closet. I didn't have an extra spray bottle, so I just dabbed some on a clean terry towel and wiped the inside of my windshield. Most of it hazes and disappears immediately, but for the areas that don't, a quick swipe of the rag will take care of that.

When I was done, guess what? No smearing or smudging. Granted, I did start with a relatively clean windshield (using another spray that left smears). I have never gotten glass this good looking with any spray before. The best part is that IPA is dirt cheap! Afterwards, I used this same method to clean the outside of all of my windows.

If you want to get any road grit off the outside glass of your windshield and windows try some Bon Ami cleanser.

Make sure that the glass has been washed off and there is no dirt on the glass. Wet the glass well and apply some bon ami to a sponge.....after cleaning the glass rinse well with water.

Crystal clear glass....free of tree sap, road grime. oil stains, splattered bug remains and bird droppings.

I've never tried Bon Ami for the glass on the exterior, but I have used GS8 Auto Glass stripper. This product actually removes silicon (and/or Rain-X), the only product that has done so successfully for me. I've heard Bon Ami does this as well, although some say it does not.

I agree that Isopropyl alcohol is very effective in cleaning glass, so easy to find everywhere and cheap too. I prefer IPA over Windex anytime.

Interestingly, I got a free sample of honda-branded glass cleaner and alcohol is the only ingredient listed. I didn't find it to be terribly useful, but I don't have much luck with any glass cleaner. And, I didn't give it a very thorough test.

Distilled water and alcohol or vinegar are booth effective cleaners. If I remember right, they are both safe to use on window tint. Typically mixing a 1:1 ratio works out pretty well for either. Window tint is a consideration people need to consider when cleaning windows. Typically, if you are using an ammonia-free cleaners, you will be in the clear.

Originally Posted By: jetmech1
Isn't white vinagar supposed to work good too? Never tried it as I can't stand the smell myself...
Vinegar is freaking amazing on windows. I just used it undiluted on a sponge to remove some stickers on new replacement windows. Hate the smell, love the power!

Rain X window cleaner is my favorite so far. Much better than Windex and Invisible Glass. No smears, non aerosol if thats your preference, no fumes, cheap, available at Walmart etc.

Speaking of vinegar... a 1:1 mix of distilled water and white vinegar is also a safe, effective cleaner for LCD screens
wink.gif
I have never tried white vinegar on glass, but I figure if it could remove that awful taste from my coffee pot, it'll clean any glass panel!

Isopropyl was the only thing that removed 303 Convertable top protectant off my back window glass. I tried everything, then grabbed a 99 cent bottle and off it all came. Its a great product!

I'll just say for pine tree sap it's the best, but maybe turpentine would be better since it's distilled from pine tree resin. Looks like it's expensive, and "mineral terpentine" is commonly substituted for it, but mineral terpentine doesn't have the same solvent properties. Also looks like the pine tree distilled version is sold as "pure gum spirits terpentine".

I really like Stoners, and it is safe on all windows, including tinted. I just used it recently to remove polish and sealant residue from my front window and it did an excellent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back