Valvoline synpower vs sopus and m1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synpower has only been a good synthetic for the last 4 years. Prior to that is was not that good at all.

Originally Posted By: buster
Synpower has only been a good synthetic for the last 4 years. Prior to that is was not that good at all.

Didn't know that.
Can you expand upon this, Buster?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: buster

Didn't know that.
Can you expand upon this, Buster?

I think historically, most synthetic oils form the majors have been sub-par group III based oils with weak additive packages. Syntec, Pennzoil, and Valvoline Synthetics were never really premium synthetic products. Now that the demand for synthetics is up, they seem to be making the quality of their synthetic line much better and very competitive. Synthetics have always been a very small market share.

PP seems to have been as good as it gets among shelf oils since its release.
Syntec is okay, but nothing special, except for GC.
Do you have some specific reason for writing that Synpower has only recently been a good oil, or are you basing this on the historical trend of the industry?
I'm not calling you out, I'm just wondering.
I used my first Valvoline syn, VR1 (Synpower dyed blue) last summer, and am using my first run of Synpower at the moment.
It will come out next weekend and be replaced with another run of Synpower, which I intend to UOA.
I had always wanted to try Valvoline synthetic, but the price had never made sense.
With FAR VR1 and closeout plus MIR pricing on Synpower, I decided to give Valvoline syn a try.
We'll see how the UOA looks, especially shearing and TBN.

i have used them all and they all seem good.. Pennzoil does not seem to hold up as well as the valvoline but that is not based on oil tests..

Based upon UOAs, PP seems to hold up very well in extended use, Synpower not so much.
Still, any of these oils will give good results on drain intervals that suit them.
Check the UOA forum for results.

What evidence do you have that holding less metals in suspension is a good thing? It could mean less wear or an inferior ability to hold substances in suspension.

Last edited:
It seems that nobody mentions Mobil 1, EP, synthetic oil anymore. I thought that the EP was at the top of the experts list for the "best bang for the buck"?

Now it is a forgotten oil......

Has the EP Mobil 1 fallen to the bottom of the "Dog Pile"?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Valvoline SynPower, also has like it's conventional, the Moly Free, Sodium Fortified Action packed add packs.

NAPA Conventional and Full Synthetic Oils have the same Moly Free, Sodium Fortified Action packed add Packs.

Take this into consideration if your vehicle is on restricted diet and can only have a High Sodium diet without any Moly.

so, what is so special about MOLY for people here in bitog? It seems that molybdenum is nothing but one of the anti wear agents that some oil blender just chose to use.. looks like there are many other metal agents that behave similarily as that. If moly is so superior (so everyone can easily quantify the quality of lube with the magic moly # in VOA) why all the "Sodium Fortified Action packed" manufacturer are still in business?

also what is so wrong with sodium? (other than the fact that you shouldn't put it too much in your food)
I am wondering, why it's implied that sodium and moly are mutually exclusive, when moly is an anti-wear agent and sodium is a detergent. is there an adverse reaction or something?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
What evidence do you have that holding less metals in suspension is a good thing? It could mean less wear or an inferior ability to hold substances in suspension.

You're right.
It could mean either.
If it really means the latter, I would expect to see deposits build over time.
This does not seem to happen with either PP or Synpower.
It probably doesn't happen with Syntec either, but users here seem few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
the same engine that ate up Penzoil products and spit them out had no problems with FF, Amsoil, Valvoline SP and Castrol Syntec.

What is FF oil.

FF likely means Factory Fill.

I've used SynPower once, and liked it in our Chrysler 3.8L. I've not yet tried it in either of my current vehicles. The Honda had VWB when I bought it (dealer oil change), and that was okay...the engine is quieter on PP 5W-20 and on M1 0W-20. Maybe I'll try VSP 0W-20. My Walmart sells it in quarts.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Thanks for the reply, I do not think it is Factory Fill because it does not fit in that sentence. It should be the name of an oil. But it could be a typo also.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Thanks for the reply, I do not think it is Factory Fill because it does not fit in that sentence. It should be the name of an oil. But it could be a typo also.

I think he was talking about a 2011 Hyundai, so I figured he probably bought it new. I think he was saying that the engine had no problems on the Factory Fill, Amsoil, Valvoline SynPower, and Castrol Syntec, but apparently "ate up Penzoil products and spit them out".

Yes I meant Factory Fill on a Mitsu 3.0 V6. 177000 kms before I sold it.
I never had problems with the break in oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back