Kia Optima Trans Fluid - Dump and Fill

The trans fluid in the 07 Kia Optima was looking a little gray, so I decided it was time for a change. The manual calls for Kia/Hyundai SP-III, but after doing some reading, I've found that people have had good luck using Valvoline Max Life.

The fluid exchange was easy. The Kia has a drain bolt in the pan, and no easily serviceable filter, and according to the dealer, its just a screen. If you get it serviced at the dealer, all they do is a dump and fill, so I figured I could do the same for a lot less.

The drain bolt is a 24mm, and almost exactly 4.5 quarts drained from the pan. You'll need a flexible funnel to make the least amount of mess.

I've only driven the car for about 30 miles, just to get it warmed up enough to verify the fluid level, but everything seems to be working well. I have not noticed a difference in shifting either way, but I am glad that dark fluid is out of there.

I may do a 2nd dump and fill in a few weeks to try and get more of that old fluid out of there. We'll see.

Yep, it's any easy trans fluid drain & fill procedure on the Kia/Hyundai's. My 07 Sonata I4 has the same set up as your Optima. I do 3 drain & fills a week apart every other year, might be a little excessive but that's why were on this board! I used Castrol IMV the first time and it made the shifting a little to harsh for my liking. Second time around I use Maxlife which took the shifting in the other direction and slipped a little too much. This last drain & fill I used Valvoline ATF+4. The ATF+4 has been the best so far. The shifts are crisp without being harsh and no slipping. I also use the ATF+4 in my 09 Santa Fe V6, it smoothed out a rough 1-2 shift and produced the same crisp shifting as in the Sonata.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
You must use SP3 rated ATF,Otherwise sooner or later auto will fail.

I agree, sooner or later the auto will fail!

It's funny that most people refuse to follow legit instructions about manufacturer specified fluids. They don't say it for the heck of it.

Just the fact that the OP experienced degraded shifting should have told him he was on the wrong track. Willful ignorance is very expensive in the end.

What degraded shifting????? OP said nothing of this sort. As a former owner of 2008 Kia Spectra I can confirm that SPIII fluid is not up to the task of being ATF. It oxidizes REALLY fast. Semi-syn fluid, such as Maxlife is much, much better.
Before recommending to stick with SPIII, have any of you experienced ANY failures using aftermarket SPIII-compatible fluids?
OEMs gave us Dexcool and LIM failures, so OEM do not always know best.

Shifting has not been a problem so far. I have not noticed any difference in shifting. I've heard that this transmission design is the same/similar as a Chrysler design, so I may go with ATF+4 when I do my next pan drain, or I may go back to SP-III if I find shifts to be a problem.

I use atf+4 in all my mitsubishi built chrysler cars that spec sp3 in the trans and ps systems. This was from a chrysler TSB.
Been doing this since about 2003 No issues yet. But I more time is needed. I also have a 2011 hyundai accent that will be changed over to atf+4 at some point.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

It's funny that most people refuse to follow legit instructions about manufacturer specified fluids. They don't say it for the heck of it.

Just the fact that the OP experienced degraded shifting should have told him he was on the wrong track. Willful ignorance is very expensive in the end.

Manufacturers are people too. And just like everyone else they too can make mistakes - like spec'ing a less than optimal fluid.

I often hear that "You need to use GENUINE SP III or your transmission will come unbolted from the engine and drop onto the road and throw a temper tantrum"... or something to that effect, and it's [censored].

I personally have used Amsoil ATF for 20k miles with no issues and others have used a multitude of other fluids with no issues. Even the big Hyundai dealer in my area uses Kendall Versa Trans in place of the SP III! I know because their lube supplier told me AND the dealer confirmed it. So, if the dealer uses a multi vehicle formula and doesn't have problems then it mustn't be THAT big of an issue.

I would like to add that I did not choose MaxLife over SP-III because of a gut feeling, or because "that's what my dad always used" or because I thought the bottle was good looking. I did do a little research into which fluid to use. The MaxLife (Along with the Castrol IMV) bottle actually says its a replacement for SP-III. Anybody who's been around here for a while knows that an aftermarket manufacturer won't say their product is suitable for use in something if it wasn't actually suitable for use. They wouldn't take on the liability.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

I think we've seen a proliferation of company specific transmission oils because auto manufacturers have found a way to make money out of doing so. They create their own spec that is only slightly different than Dex/Merc, say you must use it, and then sell it to you for 6.00/qt.,or get a licensing fee if somebody puts the time and effort into selling a specific fluid, like Eneos.

Car manufacturers know that people are afraid to touch their transmissions. They think they are a dark, scary, Pandora's Box of machinery, gears and moving parts and a little bit of black magic. They are counting on you to run to the dealer every time you need some maintenance done on your transmission. My local Kia dealer charges $139.99 for what I did for less than $20.00 and a half-hour's worth of my time. I think it actually took me longer to run out and buy a 24mm socket, than it did to change the fluid.

At the 70k mi. mark, I had the transmission serviced at Pepboys. (I was living in an apartment, and I didn't know the tranny fluid was so easy to change) According to the service receipt, Pepboys put in Synthetic Merc/Dex III. It ran for the last 38k Miles on that without issue, so I am pretty confident that I'll be good for the next 30k mi.

Yes, some day my transmission will fail, and some day I will die. Some day you will die too, and one of these days in the future, the sun will swell, and cook our world until there is nothing left. Until then, happy trails with whatever transmission fluid you use.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
Shifting has not been a problem so far. I have not noticed any difference in shifting. I've heard that this transmission design is the same/similar as a Chrysler design, so I may go with ATF+4 when I do my next pan drain, or I may go back to SP-III if I find shifts to be a problem.

That's scary. Save for a rebuild; Chrysler automatic transmissions are HORRIBLE.

I need to do research on that - I know a few people with over 100k on their Hyundais / Kias on the original transmission.

That's neat.....that MaxLife is compatible with/for SP3.....cause I've also heard ATF+4 is compatible with SP3
wink.gif
And it's funny (and has been noted here on these forums too....) that the SuperTech ATF+4 bottle states For use in Dodge, Chrysler, and some KIA and Hyundai Transmissions
wink.gif

So that pretty much settles it there.....hehe. But....then you gotta figure out what "suitable" means.....granted, any fluid is better than "no fluid" - but in the trans.....I'm not a big fan of mixing...since there could be insonsistencies between manufacturers....except for maybe the case of ATF+4....which seems to be heavily regulated by Chrystler Group.....they keep tabs on their trademark, and not just anyone can put their brand on their bottle without being verified.....etc....great QC checks there...

My 2012 Kia Sedona has NO tranny dipstick and the manual says it is a sealed unit and does not need service for 100,000 miles. Now all I need is an engine oil that is good for 100K.

Back