Fuel Economy Test?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
This company that's running the problematic tests, PerkinElmer--isn't that the same company that ground the Hubble space paperweight mirror to the wrong specification?

I'm a bit confused..does that mean that oils that are now GF-4 rated do not pass this test (fuel economy part). Did ILSAC have these certifications done in the labs of their chosing or did they accept the oil company's numbers
dunno.gif

quote:

The test’s ASTM Surveillance Panel chairman, Charlie Leverett of testing company PerkinElmer, announced Sept. 17 that neither of two demonstration oils that motor oil companies had supplied as a potential reference oil for the Sequence VIB could “perform at the GF-4 pass limits when run in calibrated industry test stands in multiple laboratories.” The Sequence VIB is a test requirement for GF-4, the new passenger car engine oil upgrade that the American Petroleum Institute began licensing on July 31.

The engine oil industry was seeking a GF-4 level reference oil for the Sequence VIB at the SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade. Each of the two demonstration oils was tested five times, and neither made an average passing grade.

I believe this problem applies only to the two 5W-20 demonstration oils oils supplied by the unnammed manufacturers. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I sense an opportune time for management in several industries to start applying the smoke and mirrors they are so noted for.

Yes we need more facts. But I thank LnG for at least exposing this.....it isn't quite like the emperor has no clothes, but the whole API, SAE, ASTM are GODS thing......well at least this brings them down to our level.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back