Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4 or ATF +4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. For the power steering reservoir, the owners manual says to use Mopar Power Steering Fluid OR Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Is there any difference between the two and does it matter which one I use?

I always used ATF+4 in the power steering in my 2003 PT Cruiser...did a couple of turkey baster reservoir drain and refills once a year...never a problem with the power steering (or any other issues for that matter...great car...still miss it).

I'd use powersteering fluid. Generally it has more anti-wear additives then ATF. The advantage you may get from atf over powersteering fluid is the viscosity index, but in texas heat that hardly amounts to anything.

Either one would work fine though.

I would rather use ATF+4 because where I live, synthetic PSF is hard to find, but ATF+4 is synthetic and easy to find.

I believe they're the same. We did a job a while back and bought the Mopar P/S fluid from the dealer and IIRC, it said ATF +4/MS 9602, but also had it's own number as well.

Your 2008 use ATF+4, look in the reservoir, the fluid is cherry color indicating ATF+4. Use the ATF+4, not power steering fluid.

Just a follow up. I called the dealer and asked what the difference between ATF+4 and power steering +4 was and he said it was the same thing. He asked if it was red or yellow and I told him red so he said to use ATF. I also asked 2 people at work today about the difference. One guy said that there's no difference at all and the other guy said its the same thing but if it says power steering fluid, he would only use power steering fluid unless he didn't have a choice. I'm just going to use ATF+4 because the owner's manual says it's ok and plus it's more convenient and readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back