The hamsters got out of hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today a student's Kia Soul caught on fire. The scary part is that she had minor front end damage from a rear-end accident on her way to school. After class the car caught on fire when she tried to start the car. The cars on either side had fire damage, and were towed away before I took the picture. There's probably a slew of YouTube videos of the fire from students taking pics & videos with their phones. They were ignoring fire and police demands to move away from the fire.

0404021552.jpg

wow. Wonder why? Bad placement of power cables creates a short near fuel lines?

Stinks to be the two people parked on either side...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Isn't that the car that has rats driving it in the advertising?

They're actually hamsters, but yes that's the one. I thought you didn't watch TV?
wink.gif

Note to self: Don't park near any Kia Souls!
45.gif

I haven't talked to the student, but there is a rumor that she saw something leaking under the car. My automotive faculty and I first thought that the power cable to the starter got pinched in the accident that caused the fire when she tried starting the car. With the leaking something rumor, I don't know where the gas lines are routed in that car. I hope that they are not routed on the front side of the shock towers or in front of the engine between the radiator.

I want a Kia/Hyundai but someone has to be such a smooth talker enough to make me get one. This just adds up to me staying away from the Korean automaker

tow it to the local kia dealer and say you want to use your 10 yr/100k warranty for a new car.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
tow it to the local kia dealer and say you want to use your 10 yr/100k warranty for a new car.

YES YES YES
01.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I wonder what the 'minor' damage was.
There is an obvious link, to me.
I mean, c'mon now, doesn't that make sense?

Yes, I agree that there's a link. There wasn't enough visual damage to concern her with the car not being drivable. Makes you wonder what critical parts under the hood of the Soul are vulnerable to a minor front end accident. How many other Souls are lost to fires??
crackmeup2.gif

Did the firemen cut that "V" in the hood to spray foam in?

Had an old mazda b2000 with that "woven" flexible wire between starter solenoid and motor. Three inches long. It soaked in oil and also corroded. One day the corrosion was too much, the remaining strands couldn't handle the amperage, and the whole thing lit up.

And that was all that happened. It stunk and burned itself out. If I hit the key again I'd see an arc by the firewall.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
I want a Kia/Hyundai but someone has to be such a smooth talker enough to make me get one. This just adds up to me staying away from the Korean automaker

What does this have to do with buying a Korean car? The car was damaged in an earlier accident that in all likelihood was a contributing factor to the fire.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Could it be this?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/09/kia-soul-sorento-recalled-over-fire-concerns.html

From that link:

Quote:

HYUNDAI-KIA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 SOUL AND MODEL YEAR 2011 SORENTO VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 7, 2009 THROUGH JULY 30, 2010. A LIMITED NUMBER OF WIRING HARNESSES SUPPLIED BY JCI AND USED FOR THE LIGHTING IN THE KIA SOUL VEHICLE¿S ADVANCED LIGHTING SPEAKERS, LOCATED IN THE FRONT DOOR TRIM PANELS, AND THE KIA SORENTO VEHICLE¿S INTERIOR ACCENT ILLUMINATION, LOCATED IN THE FRONT AND REAR DOOR TRIM PANELS, MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY SOLDERED.

Consequence

WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ILLUMINATED UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT MAY OCCUR THAT CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

Definitely sounds like it is possibly the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back