Castrol Syntec 0W-20, 4,224 mi, 2011 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

Comments from Blackstone:
Don't be alarmed by the extra wear metal and silicon in your Tundra's first sample. Copper is the only metal reading far enough above average to highlight. That's a pretty normal find in new engines since copper comes from brass/bronze parts, which are run on a lathe and do not receive a final polish from the factory, so they take longer to wear in. Silicon is from harmless silicone sealers. The trace of fuel isn't a concern. Universal averages are based on about 6,000 miles on the oil. Your engine should look that good after a few more oil changes.

Code:
OIL SYNTEC 0W-20

MILES IN USE 4,224

VEHICLE MILES 10,120

SAMPLE TAKEN 2/17/12

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 13

COPPER 14

LEAD 0

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 107

NICKEL 0

MAGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 6

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 113

SILICON 33

SODIUM 33

CALCIUM 2184

MAGNESIUM 12

PHOSPHORUS 729

ZINC 852

BARIUM 1

SUS Viscosity @210 F 51.3 Values should be 46-59

cST Viscosity @100C 7.67 Values should be 6.0-10.2

Flashpoint in F 380 Values should be >385

Fuel% TR Values should be
Antifreeze% 0

Water% 0

Insolubles% 0.3 Values should be pre>

My comments: I was kind of wondering about the low flashpoint. The reason I had the oil changed is that it felt so watery - I was worried about fuel dilution. Guess I wrong. Does anyone see anything that I should be watching. Current fill is Castrol Synblend 5W-20. I'm using the free oil changes from Toyota and that is what my dealership uses.

Thanks!

Most fuel dilution problems are in DI engines and your tundra doesn't have DI. Looks like a good uoa and a engine breaking in nicely.

FLASHPOINT @380 vs. >385

Not statistically significant, IMHO.

Please explain "it felt so watery"?

Cheers!

p.s. I'd wait until all the free oil changes are done before I'd start $pending for OA's. It is a brand new vehicle under warranty.

Norm,

The comment about watery is due to me still trying to adjust to thin oils. I grew up at a time that straight 40W was not a bad thing and used 20W-50 in my first car during the 1970s.

My daily commute is
This run of 0W-20 was the first time I've ever used 0W-20. It just feels so thin when I rub it between my fingers. During this five month run, a strange thing happened - my truck backfired at four different times. Each time there was a distinct "pop" and a good puff of blue smoke. Once while accelerating on to the freeway (with momentary loss of power), twice while cruising at 25 on residential streets, and once on startup. No codes and of course never happens in front of the mechanics. No idea what is causing it but that and my short commute made me wonder about fuel contamination. I'm now running Castrol Synblend 5W-20.

I agree that normally I would not do a UOA this early. I had ordered a half dozen prepaid kits from Blackstone with the plan of testing my older vehicles and getting to this one around 25K. So this was just a WTH moment and did it. Still trying to figure out what caused the backfiring. Oh, I buy fuel from 2 different gas stations. My wife buys gas from the same two places and have not had any issues with her 2008 4Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back