Finishing Terracotta Foor Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to lay a Tile floor in the Kitchen and Bathroom. I have on hand some very nice, un-finished Terracotta tile.
I understand that Linseed oil is the traditional way to finnish this tile, but I'm interested in other options?

I wish to darken the tile if possible.

If you get the floor VERY clean you can finish it with polyurethane. Each coat will darken it slightly.

Play with it on one of your leftover tiles first. With matte finish you really get a beautiful floor that hides damage.

If it's dirty, use muriatic acid. I had terracotta in my kitchen and I didn't seal it and had to clean it w/muriatic acid from lowes and then let it dry a day, then seal with what steve pointed out.

I was thinking of sealing the Tile before it's installed, to help keep the clay clean when I grout.

Polyurethane? Are you suggesting a Wood floor Finnish ?

I don't know about which sealer to use for that particular tile, but I usually seal my tile work after I've laid it all out and cemented them to the floor, and it's cured for a full day.

Originally Posted By: expat
I was thinking of sealing the Tile before it's installed, to help keep the clay clean when I grout.

Polyurethane? Are you suggesting a Wood floor Finnish ?

I know someone who did exactly that. But you can go to a real paint store and they will have choices for you. My client did not like shiny sealer's look so he went with matte finish made for a wood floor.

It looks great!

Are you talking about Saltillo style tile?

You'll want to seal them before installing with a penetrating sealer so the grout doesn't stain the tile as it's being put in. If not you can end up with permanent staining. The penetrating sealer won't change the look much. Then you'll finish them with whatever type of sealer you like. I've used a Saltillo specific sealer with a medium gloss from the tile store.

I am talking about Saltillo 'style' tile, though in this case the tile comes from China.

I am experimenting tonight with some tinted, solvent base, polyurethane.

Terracotter does not seem that common in our part of the world, I'm having difficulty finding info or products locally.

Get a sealer from Home Cheapo or Maynards.
Goes on kinda milky, then dries clear and hard.
Very easy to apply -almost foolproof.
There will be some gloss change - shinier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back