Toyota Highlander 3MZ-FE V6 Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I just bought an 04 Highlander with 109k miles on it and was wondering if anyone could recommend an oil for it. I'd like to go with a synthetic or a synthetic blend.. The previous owner took it to a garage and just had them do the typical oil change with conventional oil every 3k miles. There are currently no leaks.

Any name brand synthetic will be fine for that engine if you want a full-syn. Castrol, Mobil, and Pennzoil, just to name a few will provide great protection for your Highlander. I am partial to the Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products as we have used both. Both of our Toyotas are currently using Mobil 1.

I been running edge with titanium in my highlander for about 5k, engine is still running as smooth and responsive as when I changed it. much better than GTX synblend I used prior. I agree with the other guys any name brand 5w30 full syn will make your engine happy.

Ive heard quaker state ultimate durability is great for the price, will be trying it next OC.

Whatever brand... really... who cares. It doesn't matter. I would think in WV a 5-30 would work well. I think a 5000 mile OCI is conservative and 7500 is probably as far as I would go on the 3.3.

Has the timing belt been changed? How about the tranny fluid and if 4wd the transfer and diff?

I will not use synthetic oil unless the car is required. You don't have to use synthetic to reach 300,000 miles..

You can use any cheap dino and change oil every 3k-5k depend on city or highway driving..

I will not pay more than $3 a quart for the motor oil.

I run Redline 0W-20 in my 03 Sienna.
My first choice for off the shelf would be either Mobil 1 0W20 or 0W-30.
If the Toyota Chart lists 0W-20 for your application, the Toyota brand 0W-20 is also well liked on here.

My 2006 Toyota Sienna has the 3MZ-FE as well. I've always used a synthetic 5W-30: SynPower, Syntec, Quaker State Q-Horsepower, QSUD and PP. Also used a Syntec 5W-20 once. Really, any xW-30 or xW-20 will serve you well in this engine. My personal preference is for an xW-30 weight. Consider a UOA for extending the OCI if going synthetic. I got a copy of someone's UOA on their '04 Sienna with the 3MZ-FE run under similar conditions to mine, and he's doing 15,000 mile OCIs on M1 with no problems. Too long for my comfort, but I also know I can exceed the 5,000 mile OCI specified by Toyota.

If you are using conventional, don't go more than 3,000 miles between oil changes. Toyota MZ series engines get destroyed by sludge in the conventional stuff is taken to 5,000 miles.

Toyota recommend 5,000 miles OCI. I still monitor the oil level every week, especially on the 4-cyl and local driving..

I have 1mz-fe. I do 5,000 to 6000 miles OCI.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Whatever brand... really... who cares. It doesn't matter. I would think in WV a 5-30 would work well. I think a 5000 mile OCI is conservative and 7500 is probably as far as I would go on the 3.3.

Has the timing belt been changed? How about the tranny fluid and if 4wd the transfer and diff?

Thanks for the info! I am going to change the timing belt and water pump next week since the previous owner hadn't done so. I am also going to have them change the differential fluid. The transmission fluid is red and looks really good. I hadn't thought about changing that really. Do you recommend changing it as well as the transfer case fluid?

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Any name brand synthetic will be fine for that engine if you want a full-syn. Castrol, Mobil, and Pennzoil, just to name a few will provide great protection for your Highlander. I am partial to the Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products as we have used both. Both of our Toyotas are currently using Mobil 1.

I have heard good things about Mobil 1 and Pennzoil as far as their synthetics. I used Mobil 1 in a vehicle for about 36k before I sold it and really liked it. Have you always used synthetics in them? How many miles are on them?

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
I been running edge with titanium in my highlander for about 5k, engine is still running as smooth and responsive as when I changed it. much better than GTX synblend I used prior. I agree with the other guys any name brand 5w30 full syn will make your engine happy.

Ive heard quaker state ultimate durability is great for the price, will be trying it next OC.

How many miles are on your Highlander? What year is it? I know the ones prior to 04 had the sludge problem. That problem wasn't as bad after 04 was it?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20, runs great in mine.

How long have you run that in yours? What do you have?

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
Your truck was backspec'd - you can run 5W30, 5w20 or 0W20. I run 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum in my '03 Sienna, but saw 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability at Walmart, so that is going in my stash soon.

Here is the official toyota oil recommendations:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463

I've never heard of a vehicle being backspec'd. That's crazy. How many miles are on your Sienna? What made you want to use 5W20 vs 30?

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I will not use synthetic oil unless the car is required. You don't have to use synthetic to reach 300,000 miles..

You can use any cheap dino and change oil every 3k-5k depend on city or highway driving..

I will not pay more than $3 a quart for the motor oil.

I'd be the same way if I hadn't heard so many good things about synthetics. I like the longer OCI, but I still get nervous and change it every 5 or 6K with synthetics. Oil can get expensive when you change it yourself in two or three vehicles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back