Natural engine oil test

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is pretty cool.
smile.gif

"Honey no eggs and sausage with your favorite hash browns cause we are out of cooking oil" No problem dear I will just go to the celler and get some engine oil. "Ok Honey are you sure that will be ok?" Yes the stuff is just Canola Oil.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000056#000000

Canola oil is one of those naturally occurring esters, as is castor oil and others.

One thing you will note is the lack of axidative stability with respect to mineral oils. Glycerides and diglycerides are the main culprit but this lower stability can be overcome by refining and/or the proper additives.

Much research is ongoing to find which naturally ocurring esters may be useful as motor oils and to develop suitably additive packages for those naturally ocurring esters.
cool.gif

[ September 01, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I am sorry, I spent 10 years working as a chemist in the paint industry, much of the time working with resins based on natural oils. None of that kind of stuff is ever going in the crankcase of my car or truck. The unsaturated fatty acids naturally react with oxygen to polymerize. That is why the old, oil base paints dried. The more highly unsaturated oils were preferred for paint, but the mono unsaturated ones worked well too. The unsaturated oils are known as drying oils because on exposure to oxygen, they thicken up. The hotter, the faster. Not in my engine, no matter how much antioxidants they added.

I missed any discussion of sludge.

Have you been following the thread on the advantages of Pennsylvania crude high in saturated hydrocarbons? http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003453;p=1#000015H¥ë

It is interesting that they mention hydroxy fatty acids. A common natural source is the castor bean. Caster oil was used as a lubricant in the early days and even later in racing applications. Also in earlier days castor oil contributed to other racing for unfortunate little kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back