Knocking sound after an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNK

Hello guys,

I know that this issue already discussed here but this time i have something different.

A couple of days ago i did my first oil change on my own.
Car info and parts used:
* Subaru Legacy 2007 2.0R
* OEM oil filter
* MOBIL 3000 x1 5w40 oil(fully synthetic)

The previous oil was also 5w40 but Liqui Moly.

Everything went great: Did the oil change by the book and took the car for a test drive(about 30 min) and it was great.

On the day after also rechecked the car for oil leaks and started up the engine to be sure - all was 100%.

On the second day went to work and tried to start up the car(was around 14 deg C) - there was a very loud knocking sound coming from the engine,
i've never experienced something like that. I turned off the car and tried to start it again - the knocking continued but
less loud.
Immideitaly took the car to subaru garage and until i came there the knocking disappeared(after around 10 min).
The mechanic told me to wait and to recheck it also tomorow, and he thinks that maybe it the hydraulic lifters that was without an oil.

Now my question - How is it possible that after the oil change i checked the car and it was ok but not ok on the day after?

Can anybody explain what can it be?

Maybe some garbage in the oil prevented from the lifters to seal and the oil drained from the lifters?.. it was just a luck that right after the change it was ok?

Today the car started normally without any knocking.

Any help will be appreciated.

Did you use the same oil filter that was previously installed. If you using a filter without an ADBV ( anti drain back valve) newer cars can being noisy at start up. I would try Mobil 1 0w-40 or Pennzoil/ shell 0w-40 if the filter isnt the issue.

Check the oil level to confirm it is correct. See if this is a one time issue or repeats. If it repeats then, I would change oil filter(possible a bad ADBV). Changing the oil should have no effect on the issue you described.

"Did you check the oil again? Is it still at the proper level?"
- Yes i did, the level is proper.

"Did you use the same oil filter that was previously installed."
- Yes, it's the same original subaru filter. here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Original-...a#ht_500wt_1113

"Check the oil level to confirm it is correct. See if this is a one time issue or repeats. If it repeats then, I would change oil filter(possible a bad ADBV). Changing the oil should have no effect on the issue you described."
- Thanks. I hope it one time issue.

Initially, a knock is expected.
But after the first start and warm up cycle, things shold be back to normal.
A bad anti drainback valve in the filter may be a problem.
It happens even with good filters , but it is rare. Cheap filters can drain back due to poor design and implementation.

Check with Subaru to see if there are any technical service bulletins concerning your condition. Sometimes the dealer is not the most astute as to the TSB out there.

Whimsey

Thank you all for the help!

For now, after a couple of days, the knocking didn't come back.

Hope it was one time issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back