15% Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that several companies are now approved to produce or blend gasoline with 15% ethanol. I just did a calculation and see that the 15/85 gas blend with produce 5.27% less heat energy. I surmise that this will decrease our fuel mileage by that amount compare to 100% gas. Ed

as soon as I see the "upto 15%" sticker on the pumps i wont be going to that gas station again.

Or are they giving me a new car as mine requires 10% or less for warranty.

How do you kill our freedom of choice?

An extra 5% more Ethanol at a time.

Just because they were approved means what? I thought that was struck down somehow?

Anyone can blend anything I suppose...

And I wonder if e15 will take the place of e85 pumps, depending upon the subsidy values?

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/e15/e15-faq.htm

^
Quote:
Misfueling mitigation conditions:

Labels must be placed on E15 retail dispensers indicating that E15 use is only for MY2001 and newer motor vehicles.

and this:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/e15/e15-faq.htm#mitigate

e15-label.jpg

Before everyone gets all wound up, this is only one step. It is not available anywhere yet for purchase.

It is not intended for cars older than 2001. It will be sold from different pumps and labeled as such (kind of like E85 is right now).

There are no laws that say you have to purchase it, even if you own a 2001+ vehicle.

E10 as sold now isn't going anywhere for quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just honestly don't get the point of ethanol in the first place. It ruintus our gas mileage which ruins the whole green movement. It's doesn't make sense to me.
33.gif

Ethanol sucks, my civic was rated @ 40mpg in 2006 when it first came out. Then nothing changed during the next few model years but the mpg rating went down to 38. Later it went down to 36mpg in the exact same civic / engine.
33.gif
I blame ethanol.

^One way to find out, get some good 'ole gas at the nearest gas free station on one of your trips Artem. Check for mileage changes on that particular trip compared to typical usage or average MPG.

thumbsup2.gif

http://pure-gas.org/

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^One way to find out, get some good 'ole gas at the nearest gas free station on one of your trips Artem. Check for mileage changes on that particular trip compared to typical usage or average MPG.

thumbsup2.gif

http://pure-gas.org/

I have been running pure gasoline for a few months now and I am sold; I will never go back to E10. Mileage is way up, and everything "seems" to run better.

E15??? I feel your pain
33.gif
2 stroke powersports are really going to have major problems

Last edited:
Yes it is. I saw it last week at a station near the Milwaukee airport.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Before everyone gets all wound up, this is only one step. It is not available anywhere yet for purchase.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
How do you kill our freedom of choice?

An extra 5% more Ethanol at a time.

^
This...

The main reason for ethanol content in gas is the corn/farm lobby. Really; no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

^According to the 'sign' the stipulation could be 'misread' that it was AGAINST the law to use E15 in vehicles older than 2001.
crazy2.gif

EDIT: It does!!!
lol.gif

EDIT2: It's late, I see what you mean now.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Long story short, until it becomes law that you have to fill up with E15, this is a non-story. Just one more available fuel, like E85.

Respectfully, I disagree. All it takes is E0 becoming unavailable. That doesn't necessarily require a law to make it happen. Government provided financial incentives to retailers (if provided) could lead to E0 being effectively removed from the marketplace.

Here is Iowa, surprisingly, we can still buy E0 at almost every pump. I hope that doesn't change any time soon.

-Bryan

It's ironic that most of the posters in the Midwest can buy E0 and I haven't seen it in years on the East Coast.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Yeah, the land of corn. Weird because I thought Iowa was one of the states where e10 is mandatory?

Not mandatory in Iowa, at least not for all grades. What you will find in Iowa is that E10 is usually only availabe for the mid-grade (89 octane). 87 and 91 octane are E0 here at most pumps.

-Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back