Interesting ATF information...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to see how dated this article is. Chrysler's ATF+4 specs require a a pour point of at least -60°F and a vis at -40°C of
ALL of these fluids are made with a blend of Group III and Group V.

I found this last night when I was flipping thru my GM bulletins. It discuss how to tell from bad and good ATF fluids. Pretty informative, perhaps anywhere here can add on to what they have to say...
====================================
quote:

So now you've narrowed your choices down to a few suppliers that have O.E.M. license numbers. How do you compare two fluids that meet the same O.E.M. Spec.? Ask your supplier to give you the viscometrics on the fluid you buy.

An excellent "bench mark of the overall quality of a fluid is its viscosity at -40 degrees. This is measured in "centipoise" or "cPs". DEXRON II specification says viscosity will be no more then 50,000 cPs @ - 40 degrees. (Some poor fluids have tested at over 1,000,000 cPs) In general, the lower the number, the better the fluid.

Keep in mind that as the number goes down the price of the fluid usually goes up. (You get what you pay for) Most good fluids will average around 35,000 cPs. Hydrotreated (or Hydrocracked) fluids average around 20,000 cPs or less. (Hydrotreating is a refining process done to the base oil to clean out contaminants or impurities) Synthetic ATF's average 10,000 cPs or less, and some are as low as 5000 cPs. Viscosity at -40 degrees is a function of the base stock from which the ATF is made. A low number indicates a premium base oil OR an expensive refining process. (Hydrotreating)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Transmission Digest August '89
Page 91 December '89 Page 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back