2012 Buick Regal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from FL and while down their Hertz gave me a choice between a Crown Vic or the new Buick. As much as I like the Crown Vic I have already driven them but I have not driven a Regal made this century so I gave it a go.

8 days and 600 miles later, wow go GM! The gap between the last Regal I drove which was a late 90's model and this car is about the same as between a Piper Cub and a Gultstream G6.

While I was down their I looked up what they were selling for, IMHO its a deal, $26k for a car that is way better than what the Japanese are offering at this time.

The interior was nice, and modern. A bit cheap in some aspects but than again its not a very expensive car. Ergonomics were good. Power was a bit low but the upgraded motor would fix that. OTOH it drove great, rode really nicely, and was nice and quite on the road. All in all a proper American cruiser, set the cruise at 80 and waft, while returning mid to low 30's according to the dash.

I also think it looked pretty nice, had nice wheels, real Michelin tires ridding on 18in wheels.

All in all for the money its a pretty good package. Is it as good as a 3 series or a C class? No it's not quite as refined, its a notch down in all areas from those cars. But GM really isn't going after that market with the Regal. The baby Lexus I forget what they call the cheap one, the ES? That had better watch out though, its cheaper and 99% of the car it is.

Last edited:
i got to test drive a regal a week ago and i agree, very nice car. the new buicks are so quiet inside! if you are looking for a cruiser, the verano would probably be even better. regal is more sporty with a firmer ride.

I used to like buicks, they are good cars but the styling is awful. Gone are the cool sporty lines like they had in the 70's and 80's. They all look like they are designed to appeal to 90 year old floridians. Bring back some of the the Darth Vader looks of the Grand National and take up where pontiac styling left off. Try to appeal to more than the retiree market. My first car was a 76 buick regal 2 door.

I have a 2011, and it is a very nice car. Very quiet, very well built, nice ride and a ton of nice little touches throughout.

It is actually an uplevel model of the 2013 Malibu, not current.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I used to like buicks, they are good cars but the styling is awful. Gone are the cool sporty lines like they had in the 70's and 80's. They all look like they are designed to appeal to 90 year old floridians. Bring back some of the the Darth Vader looks of the Grand National and take up where pontiac styling left off. Try to appeal to more than the retiree market. My first car was a 76 buick regal 2 door.

Um no not at all, this on seemed aimed at my age group, 25-35. To firm of a ride, and hard to get in and out of for the elderly, Hyundai owns that market now.

IMHO I had no love for a single GM product built from the early 70's up until 2005 at least. But GM is changing fast, its not your dads GM anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Um no not at all, this on seemed aimed at my age group, 25-35. To firm of a ride, and hard to get in and out of for the elderly, Hyundai owns that market now.

IMHO I had no love for a single GM product built from the early 70's up until 2005 at least. But GM is changing fast, its not your dads GM anymore.

I'm not talking about the ride, handling etc. I'm talking about the styling. Go to the buick website, under vehicles click on "view all Vehicles" and just look. They all look the same!!!! I'm 47 and the styling is geezer. I miss the cool looking buicks.

I have owned and enjoyed a lot of gm vehicles, but i will not buy another.

Last edited:
They all look the same!!!! I'm 47 and the styling is geezer.

I just LOL'd HARD!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I just LOL'd HARD!
grin.gif

I probably should not be posting, i had a hernia repair earlier this week and the percocet i'm on is probably affecting my posting!

My point is, i'm not a young guy and the styling is way to sedentary for my tastes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I just LOL'd HARD!
grin.gif

I probably should not be posting, i had a hernia repair earlier this week and the percocet i'm on is probably affecting my posting!

That's OK, I'm quite entertained by your impaired posting
grin.gif

I'm not talking about the ride, handling etc. I'm talking about the styling. Go to the buick website, under vehicles click on "view all Vehicles" and just look. They all look the same!!!! I'm 47 and the styling is geezer. I miss the cool looking buicks.

Of course they do, doesn't every GM look alike?

as won't I. I'll just keep driving my geezer-styled Sonata.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Of course they do, doesn't every GM look alike?

as won't I. I'll just keep driving my geezer-styled Sonata.

The Elantra and the Genesis look pretty good. I like the hood on the genesis.

They all look like they are designed to appeal to 90 year old floridians. Bring back some of the the Darth Vader looks of the Grand National...

I think the new Regal GS looks kinda Darth Vader-ish...

2012BuickRegalGS.jpg

ack- those huge side scoops on the bumper look hideous.
A lot of new cars are doing that - oversized holes for fog lights, etc. And then it looks ultra lame when you get a trim level that does NOT include the fog lights!

Strangely, though it's smaller than the LaCrosse, I find the Regal to feel roomier inside. I don't know why that is. Perhaps it's because the center console of the LaCrosse swoops up much higher, isolating the seats from each other, than does the console in the Regal.

If I still lived in Colorado, with Denver's good roads, the Regal (or maybe even the Verano) would be my choice. But here in The Pesthole (tm), a firmer-riding or short-wheelbase car is not what I want.

The GS is probably fun, but they need to get rid of the stupid hood/top fender vents. This ruins it for me. It also came in last compared to the imports in a recent MT test. I definitely do not agree with everything they write though.

I think they look modern, and fresh.

Meh I won't buy one anyway, since I don't buy FWD cars.

The CTSV wagon is more my style, well the V700 Hennessey version.

uploads...s-12.jpg

Last edited:

I'll take my dads GM any day.

One could chose any number of makes and models to fit any budget, with attractive body styles, hardtop, convertible. Two door or four doors, where you could comfortably rest your arm with the window down, (try that in a new Regal or Camaro).
Multiple powertrains, interior/exterior colors, trim lines, cloth/fabric/leather bench or bucket seating, pick and choose options without having to buy expensive packages with stuff you don't want, etc, etc.

Today its four doors only, a half dozen exterior colors, three of which are always black, silver, and a dark maroon. Three interior colors; beige, gray or black (sometimes in leather only or some fabric backpacks are made from).

All wrapped up in odd or downright ugly bodies with price tags that most people need 4 or 5 years to pay off, if you have a good size down payment.

Yeah, I'll take my dads GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back