2009 Yamaha VStar 650...oil & lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting: 2009 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic (buell got accepted as trade-in, hence financing approved)

what is manufacturer spec'd oil/lube for:

1) common sump for engine/tranny

2) shaft drive

3) rear hub

thanks

They spec a GL4 or higher straight 80 or 80w90 gear oil.

I just tuned one up, used Valvoline 4t 20w50 dino in the engine and mystik oil 80w90 in the rear. Filter was a Wix.

Id run 20w50 since it will sheer down a bit and also being summer is coming and its an air cooled engine without an oil cooler, best to run the thicker oil.

I will say the filter chance is a bit of a pain in the butt. A lot of star owners that have bikes with the cartridge filters buy the Jardine spin on filter conversion which adds a 4th quart, works as sort of a heat sink/cooler, and you never have to fight the exhaust being almost completely in the way ever again.

thanks for the link! I was wondering which Yamaha models they sell 20w-50 yamahalube for; now I can use what 20w-50 mc oil I bought for the buell (valvoline 4-stroke conventional), but I will return the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and Purolator filters;

can a GL-4/GL-5 spec'd gear oil be used (most I have seen are GL-5 spec'd)? also, where can I get the Jardine external filter conversion and how much $$$

Last edited:
You can use a GL5 lube no problem, thats what most stuff is.

And the Jardine kit is available through J&P cycles and I think Baron sells one also. On a stock exhaust its not needed as the screws just barely clear, but if you get an aftermarket exhaust and the tube diameter on the pips is wider, then you would have to remove the front cylinder's exhaust every time you change oil.

J&P Cycles sells the spin on kit conversion, but perhaps you can track one down cheaper if you shop around

http://www.jpcycles.com/

Check with a knowledgeable mechanic about the drive shaft. Some need to be taken apart and lubed with a moly paste. I've seen the results of one that wasn't, and it was a $600 lesson for the owner of that bike.

No need for an oil filter relocation on your 650. It is the 1100 v star where the exhaust is in the way. On the 650 it's an easy change out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back