Gasoline (and oil) on History Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stumbled across this show. Might be old but looks interesting.

-1st oil well: 69.5 ft.
-Originally refined (in stills) for kerosene.
-Gasoline was a nuisance byproduct, and often dumped into streams.
-Model T era gasoline was 40-50 octane.

That's it. I'm off to work. Someone watch & summarize!

David

I watched the same show. I always watch the History channel!

Leaded gasoline was created because they needed higher octane fuel. The lead increased the octane rating.

Typical refining produces gas with lower octane than the "special" refining where they place the remaining crude oil under extreme heat and pressure to reform the molecules thereby changing the length and organization of the hydrocarbons. (all from memory now!) This fuel is much higher in octane. To keep things consistent they mix this with the traditionally refined product.

There were many more items pointed out about the history of gas and the refining process.

One of the most interesting points is that many companies often share a pipeline. Some 95% of them are shared and are the absolute cheapest way to transport fuel. If Mobil needs a gallon of gas in Detroit, but they only have extra in Dallas, they can add a gallon to the pipe in Dallas and take the gallon out in Detroit at the same time. They biggest reason for cheap fuel is the HUGE distribution network.

Jason
patriot.gif

I saw that program the other night and was amazed to see my old neighbor from Houston being interviewed!

Small world...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back