Would you add any fuel additives to a new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seeing if there's any benefits to it. My car has always went to a pump that uses top tier gas. Just seeing if fuel additives could reduce any future maintenance.

Isn't the whole point of top tier gas that it's supposed to make cleaning additives unnecessary?

Originally Posted By: jigen
Just seeing if there's any benefits to it. My car has always went to a pump that uses top tier gas. Just seeing if fuel additives could reduce any future maintenance.

Devil's advocate here. Are you 100% certain you're getting Top Tier gas? Just because you're buying a so called "Top Tier" brand doesn't mean you're really getting Top Tier gas. So unless you're 100% certain then 1.5 ounces of Redline FI cleaner/10 gallons of gas might not be a bad idea. That's their suggested dose for continuous use.

No.

I use only top tier gas; can't see any need for additives in a new vehicle that has always had good fuel.

I like it for the UCL benefits, but one place (right or wrong) I read that one should wait so that the wearing in and mating of parts could complete. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Might not add some the first tank or two, but IMO a maintenance dose after is A-OK.

I don't normally buy top tier gas, but about once a year I use Canadian Tire, Motomaster Fuelinjection Cleaner.
It comes 5 treatments in a bottle for about $4 pn sale.

Engine run much better after about 2 treatments.

I only use top tier in my Outlander and in 31,000 miles have not had any problems and see no need for any other additives.

Originally Posted By: azjake
I only use top tier in my Outlander and in 31,000 miles have not had any problems and see no need for any other additives.

31,000 miles is not many miles at all, you can do that with the cheapest regular gas you can buy.

Thanks for the variety of responses. I don't know the true quality of the fuel but I only fill up at a Shell and Exxon which I believe both state they use top tier gas.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: azjake

31,000 miles is not many miles at all, you can do that with the cheapest regular gas you can buy.

I agree it's not a lot of miles and being retired I don't put on a lot of miles a year. However 31,000 miles is at least 2 years driving for most people, and I've seen threads on this forum suggesting that you use additives every 6-12 months to clean out your injectors and other gunk in your engine.

I use MMO. When buying a new vehicle dealer gives you a "free" tank of gas. I add it before the initial fill and every tank thereafter.

I too think that it gives a trifle better mileage when it is in the mix.

If your car is under warranty it is highly advisable not to add anything fluid related that isn't specifically mentioned in the owner's manual.

Just make sure you use a good quality top tier high detergent gasoline and follow the maintenance instructions and all will be well.

As for putting MMO in your fuel...well if there is a fuel system related failure and they find contamination from it, you could end up paying for the repair.

I have never used fuel additives..Even with cars with over 300K miles..If you use a Top Tier gas you will probably never need any.

If the fuel additive people depended on me to keep them in business they would all be out of business.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I use MMO. When buying a new vehicle dealer gives you a "free" tank of gas. I add it before the initial fill and every tank thereafter.

I too think that it gives a trifle better mileage when it is in the mix.

I waited until I got home from the dealer and started adding MMO to the gas in my Jeep. They only gave me half a tank of gas.
frown.gif

Why would you need additives in a new car? It is clean.

If you stray away from top tier later, then using a cleaner will help after 10,000 mi or so of non-Top Tier.

^I generally agree with this, though I would probably still use a PEA cleaner like Red Line SI-1 or Amsoil's Performance Improver(P.i.) once a year for system conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back